Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Bronco3738 said:
What do you usually use for bedding? Do you buy a kit, or do you just use a hard epoxy like JB Weld?
If you are talking about bedding a 10/22 then I believe its fine to use a good epoxy such as Devcon, if you add some fiberglass mat to it it will be even better. Many believe you should only use a bedding kit such as Brownell's Acraglass. While Acraglass is a fine product that I have used, it too is an epoxy just like the Devcon. The choice is yours, and the suggestion of homersapien's to go through tips and tricks is good too!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hot glue bedding?

i used this method(hobby craft hot glue) to bed a couple of rifles few yrs back and it has not caused poa shift, not came loose, not gotten soft. i was wondering if anyone else had tried this method, saved a lot of processing time. next i will try to do this in pillar beding. just courious if any one had tried this? thanks for your time! :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easy, Simple, Fool-Proof Bedding

A combination of pilliar & skim bedding works best for me.

For pilliars; any hardware store has steel, electrical lamp nipples. For a 10/22 the cost is less than a dollar.

The pilliars are SAE threaded and can be screwed into the properly drilled diameter hole and are very rigid. Sometimes I cut a slot across them to aid in installing with a flat blade screwdriver.

The pilliar helps keep the reciever/barrel from being distorted as it keeps stock material from compressing, (especially wood stocks).

Also proper TORQUE, and skim bedding are very important.

You mentioned JB Weld. Everyone has their favorite bedding medium.

My "Fool-Proof" skim bedding goes like this:
-Apply YOUR favorite bedding medium, (JB Weld will work)
-Cover it with a thin cotton material, (like cleaning patches).
-Apply YOUR favorite parting agent, (I like generic STP oil treatment)
The cotton material will aid the parting agent and at the same time remain rigid.

Okay, that's my fast, inexpensive, long lasting technique.

Only problem is light aluminum reciever, and a heavy steel barrel. I bedded reciever bottom and rear & first three inches of barrel and last 1/2 inch of barrel. Some people bed the whole barrel. There are many different ideas on exactly WHAT to bed?...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.