Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
632 Posts
I floated the barrel on mine and bedded the action when I switched stocks. ( All at once.) I used plumbers epoxy putty vs std bedding goop. It was stiffer and easier to mold in without woring about it oozing and glueing the action in. I filled screw heads and action holes with modeling clay, lightly oiled the action and then pressed it into the epoxy putty. i then pulled the action straight out and let everything kick, Seemed to work well ( no slop in fit anywhere ) although I'm not sure how much of the estimated 10-20% accuaracy gain was from the stock replacement vs the bedding.

· Registered
632 Posts
I put the stock in a gun vise and leveled it then assembed and leveled the whole works. To be honest, there was little effect from the epoxyas it was nearly all around vs under the lugs and support points. Where it was under, I removed just a bit of material and replaced it with nearly the same amount of putty. Could it be off by some miniscule amount? Yes, however as long as everything sit's the same shot after shot, there is no effect. Bedding / floating is more about repetitively reproducing harmonics than anything else. I've done 4 guns to date w good results. Two with this method and two with bronells bedding kits.

· Registered
1,870 Posts
The trigger gaurd and screw set up that they sent me changed the gun over to a one screw set up that went into the barrel lug. By the way I was on the phone to them twice to try and get a longer screw. They sent me a short one each time. Well I realized it was a common thread so i went out got a bolt ground the head down an it worked. believe it was a 5/16 fine thread that goes in the barrell lug. The hole for the lug in the stock didn't line up just right. It was canted to one side and the clip wouldn't go in. So I had to cut some wood out of the lug hole to get clearance for the magazine. You would think they could get it straight, they only do marlins. Its not like they are Boyds and doing every brand on the market. Well all is well that ends well, I got it to where the clip fits in easy but the lug screw is a little off center on the stock part.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cut a 5/16 fine thread bolt to be a headless stock screw when I was inletting. Somehow Marlin sent me the right screw about 4years ago. I have been playing with this laminated stock and still not satisfied with the results. It seems to me that if there was more material in the rear of the action it could be bedded like a Rem 700. Also the lousy recoil lug leaves a lot to be disired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.