Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the article about Accurizing and Bedding and the first step recommended that I use epoxy to secure the barrel to the reciever. If you do that, you cannot remove the barrel when you clean the gun.

Normally I remove the barrel each time I clean the gun, am I missing something? Doesn't everyone remove the barrel to clean the gun?

Can I skip that step in bedding the gun? Will it impact accuracy if I don't epoxy my barrel?

Thanx for the advice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Assuming

that you are talking about a .22 LR, there is no need to take the barrel off to clean. There is also no need to ever use a brush or a cleaning rod. The bore on a .22 LR requires minimal cleaning to maintain good accuracy. Use a "boresnake" (you can take out the brush with a little effort), or get a length of thick weed-whacker line and melt the end into a ball that will pull a patch tightly through the barrel from the chamber end. You can sharpen the other end of the line and thread it right through the patch. Or get a "patchworm" instead. Almost any gun cleaning solvent will work well, since the barrel should not develop significant copper or lead fouling. Every time you run a cleaning rod into your barrel, you are risking damage to the rifling and especially to the crown.

I clean my 10/22's bore every few hundred rounds, and have never experienced any degradation in accuracy. I only clean the barrel that often because the chamber gets dirty and starts to affect the weapon's feeding and ejection. Might as well clean the bore if doing the chamber anyway. Don't get me wrong -- I keep the ACTION very clean; clean it at least after every range session and often during a session.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have ruined my illusions about cleaning!!!

So you are saying that you never use a brush on your barrels? Not even with a Bore Snake. I have always heard that you should clean the barrel witha brush a little bigger than the caliber that you are shooting.; like a .243 size brush.

Should I only use solvent to clean the barrel?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cervanteznc

I had a friend in my dorm at UGA (long ago) who was on the smallbore rifle team. He cleaned his bore about once a year, and swore that it ruined his accuracy every time until a few dozen rounds "settled-in" the barrel. I assume he knew what he was doing -- he was competitive in the Southeastern Conference.

If you look through the threads here at RFC, you will find that many of the most knowledgable members refuse to use brushes in their barrels.

My cleaning procedure is: Run two solvent soaked patches through with weed-whacker line (the type of solvent is not critical, I have used many brands). Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes, to let the chemicals do their magic. Run through a boresnake with just a little light oil on the tail end. Always results in a bright and beautiful bore.

Remember that this applies only to .22 LR. I am not familiar with other rimfires. Also, all my .22 bores are very smooth. If your rifle has a rough bore, you may have to clean more often or more thoroughly.

Centerfire cleaning is a whole different ballgame.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give it a try and if I don't shoot all my shots through the same hole, (at 200 yards) I will blame you. :)

I will tell the guys at the range that a Dawg recommended I not clean my barrel. Go Cats!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
What about jb bore paste, does that have any use for a new GM barrel? I ran about 10 passes with fishing line, and paper towel roll through it(coated with jb) and about 10 more dry patches, alternating with gun oild patches, then a bunch more dry ones. Hope i did not hurt anything by doing that? I used blue locktight on the barrel/reciver. Can one overtighten the screws, or will they strip out before putting to much stress on someting?

·
Registered
400 Posts
JCD

Somebody here at RFC breaks in new GM barrels with JB Borepaste. I don't see any harm in it -- don't think it will hurt the barrel if used carefully and in moderation. BUT, I also don't see the need for it.

Very unlikely that you hurt anything.

I have red Locktite holding the barrel to the receiver, since I never plan to remove it.

The screws will strip out the receiver before they hurt anything else, but do not overtighten them, because it will strip out easier than you think. Somebody here at RFC can tell you what torque is recommended on those screws, but I don't remember who.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.