Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

bedding a rifle - how hard?

469 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  tuj
Hi all:

Getting a new stock for my Savage MKII and considering if I should bed the action or not. Anyone got any tips on how to do this or is it a job best left to the pro's? I'm not super-handy, but it looks like one just sort of puts the epoxy in the action channel, put the action in, secure with surgical tubing, and wipe away excess epoxy? I'm sure there's more to it than that, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,420 Posts
Bedding

Not usually that hard. Lot's of guys will probably add their posts on how they do it once they see your thread.

Review em all and then ask questions and you can do er. Only thing you really need is something, like a stand or whatever, to hold the rifle level while the stuff sets up and a good bedding compound.

noremf(George)

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Hi all:

Getting a new stock for my Savage MKII and considering if I should bed the action or not. Anyone got any tips on how to do this or is it a job best left to the pro's? I'm not super-handy, but it looks like one just sort of puts the epoxy in the action channel, put the action in, secure with surgical tubing, and wipe away excess epoxy? I'm sure there's more to it than that, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You do want to use a release agent on the barrel so that the barreled action is not permanently attached to the stock.

Brownell's has some nice kits and "how to do" guides for bedding. :bthumb:

Read up a lot and make sure you use lot's of release agent and you'll have fun. :)

· Premium Member
37,746 Posts
Bedding is easy, unbedding is the exciting part. ;) Its one of those things where you think it through at least 3 times to make sure you've done it correctly. Find several bedding DIYs here and compare notes how it will apply to your gun. A release agent such as a wax shoe polish is your best friend.

· Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Disclaimer: These are just my observations. Take them with a grain of salt.

It's easy to do a simple bedding job, but great bedding is difficult.

Some guns are a lot more difficult to bed than others, but I think a bolt action like your Savage will likely be on the easier side. It depends on how much stuff is bolted to the underside of the receiver and how much contact surface can be bedded.

I have found that a good release agent is your best buddy, and Kiwi neutral shoe polish is great. Coverage is more important than quanitity, and in fact I buff down the shoe polish to make as thin a layer as possible. As long as it's there, epoxy won't stick to it. You just have to be positive that you have an even coating on every thing. Regardless, the sound the barreled action makes when it's cracked out of a fresh bedding job is music to my ears every time.

Not everything in this article will apply to what you're thinking of doing, but it's good for big picture concepts to factor into whatever bedding you may do (i.e. stress free!) http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

· Registered
644 Posts
Every bolt action, and most autos, in my home are bedded, except one. I have a Savage 22 MK II BVSS. It is so [email protected] accurate I am afraid to do anything to it. I have dozens of one shot kills on early spring prarie dogs at just under 700 yards with a 7mm, and just over 500 yards with a 204. My rifles are VERY accurate, but the MK II, I won't touch until something breaks. Shoot it first before deciding to bed it.

But, I bedded them all. It is not difficult if you take your time and make absolutely certain that every crack, crevice, dent, and hole are filled to flush with plumber's putty. Make sure it is completely dry before seperating, and use a good release agent - I use KIWI shoe polish.

If it is a wood stock, use Devcon Plastisteel. For synthetic stocks, I'll defer to others.

This is what I used. Read it, then read it again, then order the DVD...

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Happy to see so many steering you in the right direction, http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Richard explains WHY you bed, which seems to be lost on many.
Then he explains HOW to address the WHY of it all.
Great article !
Personally think it is one of the best articles on bedding out there. Even after bedding a bunch of rifles, I still go back over what he talks about every so often.

Learned a lot from a local gunsmith, but for someone who wanted to learn without that resource, Richard's article is probably the best to get them well on their way.

Kenny

· Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help and the links guys.

I think I am going to try the without bedding first, see how it shoots, and then see if bedding it helps. The new Boyds stock should be here this week! :bthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.