Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting about 50 rounds out of my 10/22 DSP, the receiver and barrel become loose in the stock. It doesn't matter how tight I can get the stock screw. Should I use the VQ bedding kid to get rid of this? Can I expect any gains in accuracy after bedding an unmodified factory rifle?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Take Down Screw Is Too Long

Zakmatthews,

Problem Cause: Your "Take Down Screw" [ B-65 ] is too long and it is 'bottoming-out' on the bottom of the barrel before the barreled action is tight in the stock......! ! :eek:

You may verify this by looking in the tapped hole of the receiver forward tang and seeing the 'bright spot' on the bottom of the barrel.

Fix: Shorten the "Take Down Screw" by a thread's worth of length by filing or grinding, and then try it; if it still 'bottoms-out', remove another thread's worth of length....! !

This is a common problem.....! ! :(

`

BigMike

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Zakmatthews,

Maybe.............? ? :confused:

But, they might be too long also, if your stock is inletted 'deep', the depth of the stock in the area of the screw is 'minimal', and the escutcheon [ B-51 ] is 'set deeper' into the stock than normal....! ! :(

Grind a thread or two off your factory screw.....! ! :)

`

BigMike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shortened the screw by about 3 thread lengths before it finally worked. After shortening it, I had to file the end of it to clean some burrs and threads and narrow it down before the screw would bite. I also tried something new: I took some masking tape and layered it about 6 layers thick. Then I cut it into 2, 1/2"x1/2" cubes and put one right in front of the barrel block and one at the front tip of the stock. I layed the barreled receiver into the "bedded" stock and tightened it down. The barrel and action are definitley not moving in the stock anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.