Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question I have bedded 2 inches in front of the magazine , I want to do some back by the guns action, I have inleted the entire channel so barrel is free floating My question is about the only place that i see is around the lug bolt in the trigger gaurd it is such a small area , any suggestions I need some help.
Bedding material used Marinetech.
Thanks
New gun first time out today shot 5 kinds of ammo , not overaly impressed best group 1 inch however cold windy trying to snow so not the greatest conditions. not going to panic yet!!!
CCI green tag , wolf , and standard velocity CCI .
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Good job!!
I think that John Picher did some work on his 504 that produced very good results in terms of accuracy. He posted it here on Rimfirecentral, so if you do a search you can find it. Also, you might want to try some Wolf Match Target ammo, as well as some of the new, high end, Eley and Lapua target ammo to see how it performs.
Good luck,
Don
P.S. Clean the barrel well, and shoot about a dozen shots with each ammo type before going for groop tests. That seasons the bore with the lube from the ammo you want to test.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I was looking at the factory setup for the bedding on the 504 last night. I have never seen anything with so little contact area around the action screws. It looks like the round bottom of the receiver sits on a flat area in the stock so almost nothing touches. and the wood has all the pressure on an area barely 1/4" wide. Around the rear screw the only contact is a small area on each side of the action. The pillar / post that the screw goes into doesn't touch.

It seems a fairly large amount of epoxy is needed to fill around the front action screw and rear inch or so of the barrel and will be easy to do. This will create a round cradle for the round receiver so sit in. The rear screw area looks harder to do.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you check my 504 bedding tips, you'll find that I did about the same thing as Dwight, but using bedding compound and a piece of bolt to hold the sides of the stock together. Only the rear half of the rear stud was used to provide recoil and bolt torque resistance. I think it works fine and wouldn't change it at this point.

Perhaps, for ultimate accuracy, the rear stud should probably be removed and a metal pillar installed from the bottom of the stock to the receiver. Probably the receiver hole can be re-tapped for a 1/4" X 28 screw, but I don't know what size it is now. A rear screw for a Rem. 700 might be made to fit.

Can't complain about the accuracy, even though shooting conditions have been less than ideal this spring. One 5-shot, 50 yard group measured a little under 1/2", but FOUR of the five measured 1/10".

Although many people may try to make a great benchrest rifle out of the 504, I stick with my feeling that it's strong suit is as an offhand sporter of fantastic proportions, a man-sized action, good factory accuracy, but as modified...outstanding accuracy.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.