Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the 10th stock I have bedded with brownells bedding kit. 2nd 10/22. Did it with a hogue.

The stock is a laminate thumbhole from cabelas. I did it the same way I always do and GENEROUSLY soaked everything in release agent.

Let it sit 12 hours, and now there is NO getting the action and the stock seperated.

Any ideas?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,845 Posts
I have never done this but I have heard of some people putting the gun in a freezer for several hours, allowing the barreled action to shrink slightly which allows it to, in many cases, removed. May take a few good wacks to get out... Best of luck :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,058 Posts
the bedding has either seaped into the v-block gaps and or screw heads. this is very easy to fix. remove the scope if it is still attached. get the gun stable and level with the scope rail up. now set an iron on the rail for 5 mins. try to pull them apart. if no go then put the iron on for 1 min more and try again. keep doing this till they come apart. simple as that. i have glued MANY guns toghether and this ALWAYS works the freezer only works for release agent errors not mechanical locks like you get sometimes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Did you "putty" the area around the barrel wedge block? I didn't:eek: (one would think that after 30 years of rifle work such an obvious case of HIA would not happen..... it did.LOL)

I bedded my 10-22s factory stock, sans trigger group fortunately, and like you I used what I thought was an appropriate amount of release agent. I, quite obviously, forgot to trowel in some modeling clay around barrel block assembly.

Things got bound up tighter than a dog eating cheese.

I managed to correct things by......

1. Removing the hold-down screw and installing a screw with one about 3" long.

2. Got a piece of 5/8" hardwood dowel.

3. Inverted the stock in a large wooden vise with only the edges of the fore-end supported lengthwise on the inner edges of the vise jaws with the butt supported against my belly.

4. Carefully tapped, rapped and whacked in an alternating fashion the dowel, inserted through the bottom of the stock into the receiver near the breech,and the protruding screw.

In just a few minutes the bedding holding things locked together broke free and the stock and metal separated. No detectable damage was found to the receiver or barrel although the stock needed a little attention along the barrel channel edges:( . The rifle has since been fired several thousand times with no problems:bthumb:

Good luck

Perry

p.s. nemos method will definitely be easier on the components:bthumb:
 

· Moderator
Joined
·
34,843 Posts
The 10/22 requires much preparation to bed. Lot's of nooks and crannies for bedding to get into. Be very generous with modeling clay and tape.

Also OLD Brownells release agent has been known to fail. Either use fresh stuff or do like I did and switch to Kiwi Nuetral shoe polish. Works great.

NEVER use PAM cooking spray. Some people get away with it but a number of guns have been glued together here because of this nasty stuff. One guy bragged on it after being told not to and the next day his rifle was glued together. How embarassing.:eek: :p :D
 

· Banned
Joined
·
460 Posts
Don't feel bad,my best shooter is glued to the stock but since it turns in 3/8"groups at 50yds. I just left it that way.Sure eventually I'll have to take it out to clean but til' then I'm happy.Thanks for the Idea with the Iron.That sounds like the ticket.:bthumb:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Sometimes it not mechanical lock, but rather too little clearance

For first bedding attempt with a 10/22 in a synthetic stock, i read as much info as possible to form a plan and i put much attention into prepping all the items with tape, release agent and damming clay to avoid any lockup issues. Sure enough, once i finally let it dry and attempted the separation, it seemed locked up tight as can be. Thinking back, i couldn't imagine what i forgot so i got out a dead blow hammer and got banging away. I kept tapping on the two receiver legs that protrude down just in front of the magazine well and then with a wood block against the underside of the receiver as it slowly moved. I was able to make some slow and careful progress but eventually it came completely free. What i discovered was that it was not a case of mechanical lock in the traditional sense where glue seeps into some nooks and crannies. In my case, the issue was lack of necessary clearance for the receiver to swing out. When applying the bedding compound, i had gooped up the rear of the receiver and front v-block horizontal pad area including the vertical section where the receiver leg drops down to flank one side of the magazine. putting compound in this area closes the gap such that when tilting the receiver out (because it has to clear the rear ledge), the front drop down leg cannot swing forward and upward. This retains the receiver, not by locking it but rather restraining its necessary movement. After grinding the hardened compound down, i was able to get the receiver to swing in and out normally while still keeping things tight.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top