Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

bearkit carry rig

1364 19
Heres my carry rig; Hunter bearcat holster, stretched and trimmed to accomodate the adjustable rear sight, plus Hunter belt with .22 loops and knife pouch...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm really surprised this hasn't received more attention. I've only seen one other post containing a similar modification to a bearcat. think it was on a different forum (heck, it may have even been you and your rig). I believe the other post i'm thinking of and if memory serves me right, he had the bearcat fitted with adjustable sites from J-fram S&W.

nice rig.

C.R.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Hey Sixgun,

Could you tell me what Hunter holster that is exactly. (model #)?

I went on their website and unable to find "bearcat" holster?

Any help would be great. My Pops has one just like yours (without the awesome sights) and would make a great birthday gift.

Thanks

Craig N.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'd be proud of that sweet gun as well.

the first handgun i purchase was a fixed sight single six.......mainly because i like the way it looks and well it's a .22. enjoy shooting it and luckily the sights are pretty much right on for the bulk ammo i shoot.

I always thought, well my first centerfire would be a vaquero, however i ended up getting a gp-100 and then a couple of blackhawks. I truly enjoy the adjustable sights so much better. if for no other reason than just the better sight picture. So i've went ahead and bought another single six with adj. sights. Was told it'd be in early this week. gonna use it for practice for my blackhawks.

I think the perfect working gun for me would be an sp101 3" barrel and fully adjustable sights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cnelson; Thats a model 1100, and the size is 46. I found it at an old sporting goods/package liquor store (really!) in Hannibal Mo. Shortly after I bought my first bearcat... I paid $7 for it, still in the 60s era box and plastic glassine wrap. I really like it cuz it holds the gun tight... I had to dress the edges down with a dremel tool to get the rear sight to clear, and it took a while to stretch it out, but it fits like a glove now. The belt is also a hunter product, a .22 cartridge belt I found at a Cabelas bargain cave. I think it set me back less than $20. Good luck gettin one for your dad... they are a handy packing rig.

CR, I agree on the SP 101. I wish I had bought one of those in 22.. I have a couple of S&W kitguns, but they aren't as handy. I may get rid of my model 63 and see if I can get a Charter or Ruger SP 101 or maybe a high standard sentinel in l.r. to test and tinker with. So far nothing shoots as well as my Ruger MkII, though.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Thanks so much Sixgun.

I remember seeing the Model 1100 on their website.

Do you think that you would need to do all the modifications to the holster for just a regular Bearcat? Pop's don't have that awesome sights as yours does.

Thanks again.

Craig N.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
nice rig.

when i was making a rig for my Colt Peacemaker 22s, i made the first holster backwards - Left Hand and a tad tight since it lined it. It turns out that the bearcat fits fairly nice it it.

unfortunately, i gave it to a friend to sell at the gun shows. dont know if he did but maybe its out there somewhere.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cnelson, you shouldn't have to do anything other than force the gun in and wrestle the safety strap closed... it'll stretch out on its own. The newer holsters may fit just fine with no fuss; the fixed sights take up less space.
You make a lot of holsters, bangbang? Always seemed like a cool hobby to me...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from Sixguns rig there, but I got a holster for my Bearcat from Ruger that is great. Being made for the specific gun it fits like a glove. It just seems a lot of people don't even know they offer them.

I'm going to get one of those Hunters for my Smith and Wesson Model 17 though. I've got an old Smith & Wesson holster that looks just like them except the retention strap comes over the hammer, that fits the "K" frame perfectly, but it's made for 4-5" barrel, and my gun's a 6". I just can't hack that 1" of barrel sticking out. :D

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Cajun,

You got to tell me the exact info on the Bearcat "Ruger" holster. :D

That would be perfect. (no disrespect Sixgun) I think Pop's would love to have a holster with the Ruger emblem on it.

How much did it set you back?

Did you call and order it from them? Did you find it on their website?

Wow! Tell me more, please.

Craig N.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
cnelson, you shouldn't have to do anything other than force the gun in and wrestle the safety strap closed... it'll stretch out on its own. The newer holsters may fit just fine with no fuss; the fixed sights take up less space.
You make a lot of holsters, bangbang? Always seemed like a cool hobby to me...
Sixgun,

i dont make "alot" but recently i have made several in addition to the ones i made thruout my time doing leather.. I just do leatherwork as fun/expensive hobby. most of the stuff i do is to repair alot of english bridles/halters and such. not much into saddles since i dont have the space.

not to HJ the tread but here are a couple of my rigs.
the top one is my dual rig for a couple of my COlt 22 Peacemakers/NFs. its all hand sewn with suede lining.

the bottom rig is my latest. i got inspired from the duke commerative now being offered, but i did some changes. this one is again hand sewn and the belt is suede lined. the holster is lined too, but plain hide. i used cotton webbing for the cartridge loops since i saw some evidence of corrosion on some cartridges after leaving them in overnight.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Very nice rig sir - definitely compliments a neat handy sixgun. Did you see those beautiful elk scale / grips that someone at RFC For Sale / Trade forum had for these Bearcats? Sweet looking. Iirc, he was asking $80 for them - handsome devils.

Here are some at gungear, about halfway down on page.

http://www.gungear.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?29X300536

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from Sixguns rig there, but I got a holster for my Bearcat from Ruger that is great. Being made for the specific gun it fits like a glove. It just seems a lot of people don't even know they offer them.
I didn't know Ruger was offering holsters. I have one of those Bianchi SA flap holsters that were made for Ruger back in 80's - have the same embossed Hawk symbol. Think its for a 6 1/2" barrel

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Cajun,

You got to tell me the exact info on the Bearcat "Ruger" holster. :D

That would be perfect. (no disrespect Sixgun) I think Pop's would love to have a holster with the Ruger emblem on it.

How much did it set you back?

Did you call and order it from them? Did you find it on their website?

Wow! Tell me more, please.

Craig N.
I ordered it off the Ruger website. It was about $45.00 shipping included. I liked it so much I got one for my Single Six also.

http://ruger.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=19065&productId=51160&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=13682&lastCatId=13682

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats a very cool duke rig, bangbang. The web cartridge loops are a nice touch... the leather ones are always corroding the cartridges up! I always thought the coolest thing about Mr. Wayne's gunleather was the practicality... no silver conchos, no whip stitching or handcarved floral fooferaw, just comfortable well broke in saddle leather. Nice sixguns as well.
Craig, I bet your pop will be tickled with that Ruger holster... its a nice one. Good for you for thinking of your dad. If I had seen the Ruger holster first, I would have bought it! As it stands, the Hunter protects my 'kit and keeps it firmly anchored... and if the holster gets a little more scratched up, thats what its there for. Adds character.
No worries about "threadjacking" either; we're here to discuss, share and look. No offense taken. Always cool to see how other folks solve to toting issue. Nice stuff, guys. Cajun, congrats on two cool holsters.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Thanks Sixgun for the kind words and the info. I love what you have done to your Bearcat.

Everytime I plink with my Dad, he wants to shoot my BuckMark Micro w/ F.O. front sight, and I want to shoot the ole Bearcat. Always trying to outdue one another. :D

Thanks so much for the info again Cajun. :bthumb:

I'm sure Pop's is going to love it. The problem is now I have to wait till the middle of August to give it to him for his b-day. I don't think I will be able to hold out that long. :) lol.

Thanks again guys.

Craig N.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Glad to help Craig. I probably should have told you first, but when I first got it I wasn't real thrilled with the carry angle. It's raked with the muzzle to the rear. But as I got to carrying it, and I carry it almost every day, I realized that was a much more comfortable carry angle than straight up and down. It's just not a "quick draw" rig.

And the little gun just looks good in it. :bthumb:

Eidtied to add: I noticed they've changed manufacturers since I got mine. Mine was made by COWS leather, and the one on the website now is listed as Triple K. I don't know what, if any, difference that will make. The one pictured looks just like mine, right down to the stitching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.