Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a memphis recipie for pork shoulder......and i hope in time for the long weekend.....

you can use a whole shoulder, if you can get it...or some boston butt roasts..

rub the shoulder well w/ dry rub...if you don't have one you like, see my post under the ribs below for my basic rub..... i put all it will hold on the meat sides....... then, completely slather it in mustard......yep, mustard!.... plain yellow mustard is just fine, or you can go w/ a brown type....

i use a char broil brand electric smoker, but you can do just fine w/ charcoal, if you can close it down enough to cook slow......

for the typical 55gal drum cooker, put 20lbs of charcoal in a big pile in the center, light it, and get it burned down to grey......that's when i add the hickory...... when all is lit, put the shoulder directly over the fire, meat side down (fat/skin side up)....notice i didn't spread out the coals.....leave 'em in a big pile.....if you're doin boston butts, put them on fat/skin side up....

close the grill, padlock it if possible....close down the dampers till it's barely burnin.......ignore all the spittin' and sputterin it's doin....lol....

on electric, as soon as the hickory is puttin out smoke, put the meat on the same as above..... no, i don't use any water pan for bbq.....ever!

check your watch......they'll be ready in 24hrs....

when done, use a pizza paddle or shovel to remove meat from grill w/o breaking it open.....forget picking it up!.......let it rest for 15-20min, cut the skin open......i'll use a couple of pairs of tongs, or tongs and a long fork to get it ready to serve.....scrape off the big fat layer that's left under the skin, then pull the meat off the shoulder for serving..... you can tear it to smaller pieces if needed, or shred it w/ a fork......i prefer the larger pieces, they don't dry out as fast

done this way, i garrantee you can cut any part of the inside across the grain w/ a plastic fork!

if you're cookin in a smoker, i like to put a turkey breast or two on the rack under the shoulder....it will drip and baste the bird..... i do cornish hens on the rack under ribs also.....

good luck, and let me know how ya do!
cletus hungwell

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, i'm amazed i couldn't get a good "discussion" goin w/ folks from KC/chicago/ texas/etc....

i cooked 4 shoulders here for everyone......

we even made a big batch of homemade banana ice cream!!!!..

does it get much better??? lol

later
cletus

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Shoulder

Cletus,

I'm trying my hand at a pork shoulder tomorrow. My local store only had picnic shoulder cuts (all the Boston butts were sold). I figure it will be a good "first run" for a pork shoulder.

I've gotten pretty good at beef brisket. I'm throwing a small 7# brisket in the smoker just in-case the shoulder doesn't come out right.

I hope this works out. I'm sorta "going against the grain" buy smokin' pork for a Texas BBQ.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSonnen said:
Cletus,

I'm trying my hand at a pork shoulder tomorrow. My local store only had picnic shoulder cuts (all the Boston butts were sold). I figure it will be a good "first run" for a pork shoulder.

I've gotten pretty good at beef brisket. I'm throwing a small 7# brisket in the smoker just in-case the shoulder doesn't come out right.

I hope this works out. I'm sorta "going against the grain" buy smokin' pork for a Texas BBQ.
let your drippins go onto a heat source, so you get that wonderful blend of spices and meat juices creating the flavored smoke....this is truely the main ingredient it serious bbq...no sauce/spice/seasonin alone will give this...

the other key, in my opinion, is to deeply brown the meat to carmelize all the rich sugars that are naturally there... i'm not talkin about burnin the meat, but the deeper you can brown that meat to a nice color the better it will taste...

cletus

ps: i've never done a brisket, but i'd be sorely tempted to lay it on the rack under some of that pork, and let it get basted w/ some love!!!

pork fat rules!

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GSonnen said:
Cletus,

hey GS...."inquiring minds want to know"!!!.....how did things turn out?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
cletus hungwell said:
hey GS...."inquiring minds want to know"!!!.....how did things turn out?
Cletus,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Things been busy around my place. Anyhow, the pork shoulder smoked really nicely. As a test, I placed the pull pork right next to the brisket slices at my serving table.

They both dissappeared. Everybody really liked the pork flavor. Here's a pic coming out of the smoker (brisket on top & pork shoulder on the bottom):

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now, That's what I'm Talkin About!!!!!

GSonnen said:
Cletus,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Things been busy around my place. Anyhow, the pork shoulder smoked really nicely. As a test, I placed the pull pork right next to the brisket slices at my serving table.

They both dissappeared. Everybody really liked the pork flavor. Here's a pic coming out of the smoker (brisket on top & pork shoulder on the bottom):

that's a mighty fine lookin shoulder there GS!!!!... how long did they cook???... did ya let the drippins go onto somethin hot, so they created the seasoned smoke???...

i got into a real bad habit from cookin with the bbq team....showin off!!..lol..
from lookin at that shoulder, i'm sure it would do our "show off test"....take a plastic fork between thumb and 1 finger, insert into the cut end of the shoulder, give a quarter twist, and pull out a plug of meat for a sample!!!.... that one will keep folks talkin for a while!!!

now, the big question.........would ya bother with cookin them again???...was it worth it???

try stickin a shoulder on your top rack, and a turkey on the rack below it....it really makes the holidays special!!!!...

thx for the update!!!
cletus

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
It was a 7 1/2# picnic cut shoulder. I smoked at 200 for about 9 1/2 hours. I started with the pork on top and the brisket on the bottom. About 2 hours before they were done, I switched the racks and put the pork on top.

I'm definitely doing this again. I'd like to try a boston butt next time. It really brought some variety to our BBQ. Almost everytime you get invited to a BBQ in our area, you will be eating beef brisket. All the party goers were really happy to have the smoked pork on the menu.

My smoker has an offset smoke box, so I can't drip juices on the smoke. It still came out great.

Cletus: do you ever use any of those "injector" marinades? I've seen those done on TV shows. I wonder if they really add to the flavor?

I'm a big believer in the three basic rules of good BBQ:

1) Good rub
2) Good smoke
3) Lots o' patience

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GSonnen said:
It was a 7 1/2# picnic cut shoulder. I smoked at 200 for about 9 1/2 hours. I started with the pork on top and the brisket on the bottom. About 2 hours before they were done, I switched the racks and put the pork on top.

I'm definitely doing this again. I'd like to try a boston butt next time. It really brought some variety to our BBQ. Almost everytime you get invited to a BBQ in our area, you will be eating beef brisket. All the party goers were really happy to have the smoked pork on the menu.

My smoker has an offset smoke box, so I can't drip juices on the smoke. It still came out great.

Cletus: do you ever use any of those "injector" marinades? I've seen those done on TV shows. I wonder if they really add to the flavor?

I'm a big believer in the three basic rules of good BBQ:

1) Good rub
2) Good smoke
3) Lots o' patience
i've used a few injectors, mainly on birds..... most seemed to really overpower all the other flavors i get from the cookin process, so i've gone back to the basics with them...

i have 0 experience with beef, so it could do well there, i have no idea.... i try to use quality ingredients in my rub, and use enough smoke long enough to get a nice 1" smoke ring in the meat.....and the "patience" is the tough part!!!....just leavin the cooker alone and lettin it do it's magic is the hardest thing to teach!!!.....getting a deep caramelization of all the natural sugars in the meat seems to be one of the fundamentals also, imho....

the best thing i've ever found for adding seasoning to birds is to have a piece of pork dripping on it during the cooking process!!!....:D

www.crosstowncookers.org is our teams' site.....is a few pics there that you may enjoy of us in the "super bowl of swine"!!!...lol...

now, what do you do with your holiday turkeys???

thx
cletus

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GSonnen said:
Cletus,

What temp & how much time do you smoke your turkeys?
i'll usually start a shoulder for about 8-10hrs, then put the turkey in under it.... it usually runs about 12-14hrs from there...i pull them both when the bird is done.... i highly recomend a "test run" done prior to the holiday to fine tune your time and temp....i know it's tough, havin all that cooked meat around.....but, nobody promised a rose garden!.....lol...

i don't have a very good thermometer on my cooker...i'll set it to run in the 250 range or so with the cooker empty.....i've had no luck at all tryin to read/set the temp when the cooker is loaded

oh, did i mention what all that smoke and pork fat does for the corn bread stuffing???.... folks will be talkin for a while about it!!!

cletus

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bbq

Just happens we have a BBQ restaurant & catering service.

I've been smoking Butts & Briskets for 20 yrs or so as a hobby on competition teams & backyards. Now a business that got me off my lazy retired ***.

We routinely smoke 60-80 pork Butts and about that many briskets per week. Do them all @ 225F, butts are normally 12 hrs on the button, briskets vary but most come off the cooker in 16hrs.

We also only use a dry rub on each 1 hr prior to cooking. Used to jump thru all sorts of hoops w/wet marinades, foiling routines. etc. etc..

Simple, now just rub and smoke and stick to 225 and watch the meat internal temps. Everyone who wants to be consistent needs some real good temp probes for sure. Also you need to learn to "rest" your meat in a food warmer or cooler for 1-3 hours before you consume.

:D :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What probes are you using, i have a 4 i am using now, 2 Polders, 2 cheap ones from the grocery store, they no longer carry them. Salton I think was the name on the manual.

No 2 read the same temp just lying there in the open.

So what brands do you use.

What kind/brand smokers you using?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
shtrdave said:
What kind/brand smokers you using?
I have an older New Braunfels's smoker (back when they were made in TEXAS, not China.) My model is the "Bandera".

·
Registered
341 Posts
ShtrDave

I use a brand called Thermopen. It is not the type with a braided cord like you would use while the meat is in the smoker. Its a instant read(3 second) digital thermometer(stick the meat).

Since we use a commercial type smoker that is a rotiserre(sp), no way to use a probe that constantly measures internal meat temps.

We currently use an Ole Hickory EL-EDX for the smoker....

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I have a few butts in the smoker now, doing lunch for 70 to 90 people on Tuesday as a customer appreciation day for my job.

Pulled pork
Burgers
Homemade BBQ sauce
Coleslaw
Salsa Baked beans
Scalloped potaoes with pepperoni, onions, green and red peppers.
Gob Cake, Pumpkin Cake, and a request from a customer White cake W/Peanut butter icing, cause he doesn't want no F'N chocolate cake.
Cheeseball with dried beef, pepperoni, green onions, and horseradish.
Ritz crackers
Sodas (company frowns on beer at these)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
shtrdave said:
and a request from a customer White cake W/Peanut butter icing, cause he doesn't want no F'N chocolate cake.
Who are you cooking for, Elvis?

I found a 13 pound turkey in our deep freeze. It was ment for a Christmas get together that didn't happen. I'm gonna through it in the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.