Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm curious how the standard hi-vel 40gr loads do in a 1-9" twist.... i've seen the bbls w/ this twist for the 60gr aquila, and i'm curious how "normal" ammo acts out of it.....

i've learned the 1-16" twist isn't enough to stabilize the 60gr on a dependable basis

i'm also wondering how they do w/ low velocity loads, whether match target loads, subsonic, cb longs, or colibris....

many thx
cletus hungwell

ps: i ordered a 1-9" from volq....i guess i'll find out soon!

· Registered
1,171 Posts
I have wondered this too, so by all means report back after you have had a chance to do some testing with your new barrel.

When I bought my first box of Aquila 60 grainers and they keyholed on me my first thought was to blow them off thinking why would I want to dedicate a single rifle to them.

But upon further thought I have been thinking a bolt action with a heavy barrel dedicated just for them might be a good project.

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought some originaly for my m41 smith...but like you, they keyholed terribly.....but, they do make a huge difference in sound when they smack a steel gong at 100yds... very, very much more impact.....

i'm really curious how the bbls handle ammo other than the 60gr.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.