Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basket Case

I have finished the sealing (stock), and am starting filling in the grain. (went the Tung oil way).
Although my right arm is sore like a 12 year’s old. I continue.

I have also been looking for a low cost way of making the barrel look nicer. This gun is no collector piece (trust me), and was given to me.

It was covered with rust. I have cleaned all the surface rust off (blue equals about 40%). The pits still offer up rust when I press down with 000 wool on the them. This is a very badly pitted barrel in my opinion (.003” @ least depth of some).

I have read up on Birchwood Casey products, Van’s Gun Blue etc.

I also found a new/used barrel at Numrich’s for ~ $50.00 ( are these worth the money?)

My question is: Is there anyway to make a barrel look half way decent, with out stripping it to bare metal?
Or costing a lot of money.

BTW a friend said he could powder coat it for next to nothing . (The next time they run black paint). Of course they have never done a gun barrel before.

So suggestion ???

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
guy22,

i have a "basket" case that i'm waiting for a hammer, a pawner, but am doing some tricks to the ole' model 60, was an old POS, but is a shooter, so will re-con this baby best as i can and will be a truck gun.

sanded the receiver and bbl and used some krylon semi-flat black spray paint and it looks like new. also sanded the stock, stained it with with some golden oak and poly'ed and dont know if i wanna use it as a rig gun, looks way too nice. shoots great also

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Strip the blue off with Birchwood Casey Blue Removeer. Steel wool the snot out of it, degrease it and reblue using BC paste or one of brownells cold blues. It will look 100% better as several of my old derilict .22s do now. Interesting and fun project anyway.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
2 ways to look at it.

Sometimes you can only do what you can do and have to call that good enough. Are you really willing to put alot of money into a gun when the results will be a finished product worth nowhere near the investment?
Answer: Maybe.
I've done it. I enjoy having a project and I view that and the learning experience as valueable also.
IF you are going to restore the rifle, I say go for broke and do a 100% class job. Or as close as you can come to it. Or make a personalized "custom" out of it. Or you can just clean it up as best you can and call it a beater. It's your money, your choice. Just remember to have fun.

·
36,633 Posts
What model is it? I did not see that. that would matter as to what you should do. Let's assume it is a very common model: If it were mine and in that condition I would sand it down to no finish/no rust and take you friend up on his offer of powder coating it. The rifle has no real value so why not make it look nice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tacoma said:
Strip the blue off with Birchwood Casey Blue Removeer. Steel wool the snot out of it, degrease it and reblue using BC paste or one of brownells cold blues. It will look 100% better as several of my old derilict .22s do now. Interesting and fun project anyway.
You might want to try BROWNELLS OXPHO BLUE...it is a EXCELLENT cold blue and gives beautiful results,it also is **** hard...you burnish it in with steel wool AFTER your done...the stuff aint playing.
two coats will make any barrel look decent,I have fills on the dove tails with different steels and it matched so well as to be almost as a nice looking blend as a hot blue job.

I'll post the monstrousity when it's finished...but try it,I think your going to be plesantly surprised at the results.
you can find it sometimes at gun shows.failing that..
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1072&title=OXPHO-BLUE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.