Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am almost finished with my .17 and will need another project. i am going to build a bench rest .22 the action will be a 77/22, i know there are plenty of other guns that would be better used but i am sure this is the action i want to use. my question is what barrel to use,
Hart
Lija
Green Mountain
I know that Green mountain is not in the same class but i have used them a couple of times before. i also do not want stainless, just a personal thing. jsut wondering what you use and how it shoots. jshull

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most match barrels are made of stainless. I don't think Lilja or Hart use anything else but stainless (correct me if I'm wrong). Shilen makes good barrels in stainless or chrome-moly, but their Select Match is made of stainless only. They do make Match grade barrels in either, but not the Select Match. Hope this helps. Bob

·
Registered
828 Posts
The rreason I asked is that I read or heard that the 77/22 didn't lend itself to making a good action for benchrest guns. By that I mean full blown competion guns.
Also check with lilja to see if their threaded barrel. One last thing are you going to cut the chamber or by a barrel already chambered.

Good Luck
Larry

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it all depends on how my .17 turns out. i had a 77/22 mag i bought, i re- barelled it in .17 sent it to randy and bought a richards stock, combined with a mueller scope i have almost 1200.00 dollars in it, why you may ask it was like a snow ball once i started i just kept rolling. i am now scared to death that it will not shoot like a 1000 dollar gun. so after i test it i will decide if i want to spend another mass amount of money on a 77/22 bench gun, or buy a anschutz, or rem, sako, or something else. b-cause it looks like frome my figures before i scope it i will have close to 1600.00 in a 77/22 and it kinda scared me.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
[email protected] does bolt work on the 77/22 to help them accuracy wise. He also installs threaded barrels on 10/22s so Randy should be able to tell you if the 77 can be threaded. But that 77/22 could turn into a money pit real quick.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he has my .17 rite now no he cannot thread it. dan lija sent me an email and told me that he does have blue barrels, it jsut takes about three months to get them. but today i got a call from my gunshop telling me they had a mint 540x they want me to look at, so maybe plans have changed. i lost hope when i could not find one. however things are looking up. he said the rem was only 225 and it held for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
douglas XX air gauge availible in blue. had one my old 10/22 .1 c-to-c at 25yds with fed bulk pack :t keep :snipersmi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.