Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

barrels and receivers

343 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Hamish
Can anyone tell me if Mossy receivers are compatible with other Mossy barrels of similar configuration?Bolt action to bolt action.I want to get a 44 or `144 heavy barrel and mate it to my 42 receiver.Will it just slip fit or are other mods needed?I know stocks will not be the same but can fix that.
Thanks for replies-Bruce H
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

8,430 Posts
142 and 340...

Barrels have the same diameter where they go into their respective receivers. There is a small difference on the breach end of the 340 barrel as there is an extra cut on it at the 6 o'clock position that the 142 barrel didn't have. Both barrels have the same depth of counterbore where the fit into the receiver. I have machined a barrel from a 51M to fit either the 142 or the 340 so I would expect that a 144 barrel could fit the 142 receiver. Not all of the bolt actions are "slip fit" as the 142 and 340 are, my 640 and a 720 barrel I bought of of ebay had a threaded barrel to receiver connection.
I know you said a 42 but since I have zero experiance with a 42 this is the best I could do. Hope this helps! God Bless, Frank.

· Registered
10,861 Posts
???

barbr-b said:
Can anyone tell me if Mossy receivers are compatible with other Mossy barrels of similar configuration?Bolt action to bolt action.I want to get a 44 or `144 heavy barrel and mate it to my 42 receiver.Will it just slip fit or are other mods needed?I know stocks will not be the same but can fix that.
Thanks for replies-Bruce H
:confused: Is there a reason you just don't buy a 144 or 44 ?? the 144 s are dovetailed to scope. Sounds like a real good excuse to get another mossberg. :D :D

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reason

MBMAN-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have a 42 that has been sporterized, drilled and tapped and modified into a gun that functions but will never be a Mossberg anymore.I thought of relining it to 17hm2 and modifying mag well to accept newer mags from my 142 and 152.Then figured a heavy long target barrel might help the "feel" (too light and slender)of this gun and was looking at the 44 or 144 barrel.Still kicking ideas around.Thanks and good shooting-Bruce H

· Registered
10,861 Posts
sporterized?

barbr-b said:
MBMAN-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have a 42 that has been sporterized, drilled and tapped and modified into a gun that functions but will never be a Mossberg anymore.I thought of relining it to 17hm2 and modifying mag well to accept newer mags from my 142 and 152.Then figured a heavy long target barrel might help the "feel" (too light and slender)of this gun and was looking at the 44 or 144 barrel.Still kicking ideas around.Thanks and good shooting-Bruce H
:D Hate when that happens, if they didn't chop the bbl maybe you could run into a replacement stock.i see the 42M models with tyhe frt part of the stock removed and the back reshaped from time to :D time "OUCH" guess some guys didn't know what good was...

· Registered
10,861 Posts
No! No! No!

Hamish!!! This is the Mossberg forum ...what you said sounded like one of those 1022 posts. We Mossberg owners don't have to improve a lesser gun. :D

· Registered
543 Posts
LOL!

But imagine the look on a 10/22 fans face when he discovers he has been outshot by a disguised mossy. :p

If it was me I'd jump at the chance to make my own hand carved stock for that naked barrel, and reciver. Nylon would be a sin for sure. :D

Cheers!
H.

· Registered
10,861 Posts
Chicken house /Barn gun

:D "But imagine the look on a 10/22 fans face when he discovers he has been outshot by a disguised mossy." :D AH! but the fun is in blowing their pants off with that "UGLY OLD PIECE OF CRAP FROM GRANDPAS BARN" that they would use for a canoe paddle...OOPs!! that was someone elses line. :D It's always good to keep a real good shooter that looks as it did when it came from the chicken house for rats..just for those reasons.. :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.