Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but love it. I have a 2 yr.old SS carbine that has done nothing but fail to feed & stove pipe since I bought it. Put in a VQ extractor & chamferred the bolt since finding this site--I now have a new rifle. It shoots wonderfully!

Now that the action is squared away, I'm looking to tinker MORE . It's a terminal disease, I think. I've installed an extended mag release, auto bolt release, target hammer, recoil buffer & the extractor. Somebody STOP me!

Now I'm looking to the barrel. Which would give more accuracy, a CPC barrel setback & crown to the carbine barrel, or just adding a GM barrel? How do the two compare? Are there any extraction problems with the GM barrels? It seems I've read a few posts that mention a tight chamber. I'm not out to shoot bench rest, but to plink and hunt, so premium ammo will not be used much. I had so many failures to feed/extraction problems that I'm paranoid about functioning now. The rifle must be RELIABLE. The cost difference between the two (CPC/GM) is not TOO much of a factor, although I have to admit the new barrel is at least twice the cost of the CPC barrel work. Comments from experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
You practically did what i did. Get the action done first.

The question i have is.

If you get a new barrel are you going to keep the carbine stock and buy the muzzle weighted GM barrel??

Or are you going to get a new 0.92" barrel and target stock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barrel plan

Ryan,

I have followed your post on the evolution of your rifle with interest. Thank you for the details.

As for me, I'd like to get a fluted SS barrel and a new stock as opposed to the front weighted bbl. and the factory stock. I must confess a fondness to the Ruger laminted target stock. I have looked at the Boyds site, but the 10/22 stocks they offer are a bit 'over-the-top' for my tastes. I'm looking for something a bit more traditional looking. If'n I can't find a laminated stock that suits me, I'll probably get the Hogue. I have handled a Hogue stocked 10/22 and loved the feel.

However, I am wondering how effective the CPC bbl work compares to a GM bull bbl, other than the fact that those fat barrels sure look nice. ;)

Alan

·
Registered
64 Posts
well, i decided on teh ER Shaw SS 18" Spiral Fluted Barrel and Boyds Dakota Will Pepper stock. The stock looks awesome with SS barrels. The Laminated stock looks exactly like the Volq. one. Just little cheaper in price.

Pricy.

you can get the GM fluted SS barrel instead of the ER Shaw Barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.