Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two new stocks on the way and I'd like some advice. the opinion seems to be to bed the first 3 or 4 inches of the barrel, then free float the rest. I intend to bed the action, then find the best amount of shim/pad pressure to the tip of the foreend by shooting, then bed the barrel with same under front of barrel.
My question is this: If I use a Bughole type front tension device, do I need to bed the rear of the barrel? Wouldn't adding more tension later after bedding to tune for a certain ammo or lot # defeat the rear bedding by the rear not having solid contact with the bedding? I would guess the "sweet spot" would probably be a very slight amount of tension, just enough to ease the weight of the front of the barrel slightly, evening out the contact of the rear on the bedded part, but if more was required, it seems it would "lift" the barrel off the bedding at the rear.
Anyone with some experience with this please respond. I want to gain the best accuracy, but don't want do put a hole in a stock AND bed it if it's an either/or thing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My suggestion is go ahead and bed the action plus 2 or 3 inches of the barrel and float the rest. A 20 or 18 inch SS bull barrel thats floated, must exert stress on the takedown screw and action. Bedding those 2 or 3 inches has got to help support the barrel. After this is done, go ahead and test the gun out at the range. See if there's room for improvement and then you can experiment with adding a pressure point on the forward portion of the barrel. I have my reservations about using a device, like the bug-hole tuner on an action with only a single take-down (teeter-totter affect) screw. I think all its doing is relieving some of the tension on the take-down screw and action. Remember extending the bedding 2 or 3 inches did the same thing. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : after bedding , you might try the business card
trick on the forearm , before putting a tuner in.
And if you decide to add the tuner = I either remove the front sling swivel stud "if it has one" then use that hole for the tuner.

Most of the time the hole is about perfectly located. I have
good luck with tuners , but they can use alot of your time
getting them set right.

good luck = CD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.