Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock ruger stainless steel barrel on my AMT action. The problem is that the barrel shank sticks into the reciever too far to the point where the bolt cannot close the entire way, almost but not all the way. I know I am going to need to shim it to the right length but how do i measure the shimm size I need.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I don't think that previous comment will do you any good. Maybe someone here has an AMT that can measure the distance the barrel sets inside and you could just compare that to yours and add shims accordingly.

I think Stratcat has an AMT...maybe he'll see this post and measure it for you.....

Ron

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Got a set of feeler guages?

Get them, remove the barreled action and loosen the barrel clamp just enough to let the barrel move forward to the right spot.

Now, group feeler guages together to just fit the gap between the front of the receiver and the shoulder of the barrel shank (holding action vertically, with the muzzle down might be easiest). You can just add the numbers on the guages up, or measure the whole group with a caliper.

Beg, buy, or build a shim the same thickness.

Artifex's shims could be thinned by hand on a flat surface with sand paper... slow but it'll work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Tommy,
It's nearly 1/16" difference in the length of the "shank". (for no better idea what to call it)
I tried shims and accuracy went away:( :(
I said the heck with it and have my skinny, stock 22" AMT barrel WELL free floated in the .920" barrel channel of my Thumbhole stock.
You'll probably find that while the gun will work with the barrel set further back (mine did) You'll find you'll have a LOT more FTF's :(
Sorry I can't be more help. I'm guess that I'm going to have to have a barrel cutom made for the different dimensions of my AMT :eek: :(
Paul

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks again i guess that will also be my route as im trying to look for the utmost in accuracy. this is going to be my dad and i's bench gun. who can i contact to send in my reciever and get a barrel cut to the specs of my reciever?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
paintballtommy said:
who can i contact to send in my reciever and get a barrel cut to the specs of my reciever?
Good question. I don't have a good answer :(
My best guess would be check with CPC of some of the other companies/gunsmith's that do custom work on 10/22's. HOPEFULLY, one of them can shorten the shank. The OTHER option would be...
Contact a barrel maker, such as Shilen or Lilja and see if they can make or modify one of their barrels. I'm afraid that's going to be a pricey option though :(
Paul

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
One of the best in the business (IMNSHO) is Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering.

www.ct-precision.com

I'll bet he could "adjust" a heavy barrel for the Ruger to fit an AMT receiver.

Best to call him at: 1-860-343-0552. Let it ring for at least 10 rings as he is usually busy, but will answer all your questions.

Excellent work, quick turn-around and a genuine good guy.

FWIW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.