Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a problem with a new camper in stainless jamming, and sent it back to Browning for repair a couple of months ago. The first time my wife shot about 50 rounds thru it, the barrel losened up. I didn't think to much of it and tightened it up. The next time to the range, the same thing happened. This time, the barrel mounting screw was loose besides the front sight mount screw. I tightened them again, and we went to the range yesterday, and you guessed it. Got home, and tightened the barrel mounting screw, and this time, it just turned. Backed it all the way out, and the screw was cracked in half. I removed the barrel and the front cone shape part of the screw fell out! I called Browning, and they are sending me new barrel mounting screws, and lock washers for sight mount screws.

Has anyone had this problem with their Buckmarks? It seems that I go from one problem to the next with this gun. BTW, when the gun works, it's a pleasure to shoot :Blasting_

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only problem I had was the barrel screw was do darn tight! I hate allen screws anyway, because they are easy to strip, I did not strip mine but I could see the allen wrench bending under pressure to loosen it. When I put the Tactical Solutions barrel on, the set screw went back in and I got it pretty tight! It has not loosened in 200 rounds!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CC for the reply! Better it be tight, then loose every 50 or so rounds. Lets see what happens after I replace the hardware. I'll let you know, but I'm not to optimistic at this point :mad:

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
The only problemm I've ever had with the barrel screws were when Browning used the slotted screws. The slots had a tendency to get a bit mussed from repeated use of an ill-fitting screwdriver. I replaced a few with the newer allen type. The screwdriver set I now keep in the shooting box has bits that include allen type, plus an extension that gets the handle far enough out to make it handy.................chim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked the Browning Cust service rep what he thought of using the blue loc-tight on both the front sight mount screw, and the barrel screw, and he said not to use it because it would be difficult to remove the screws. Thats why he is also sending the replacment star lock washers for the front and rear sight mount screws. Let's hope this corrects the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update! Got the parts and put them in. The barrel mounting screw tightened up, and replaced the sight screw lock washers. Went into the backyard range about 60ft back from the target, and shot 110 rounds. So far so good! Looks like that solved the problem :t

I hope this is the last of the problems, Thanks, Browning :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It Sounds

Like res1b3uq, that you also had bad luck with modern Browning products? Maybe my last, if this continues. Saying that, I have 2 of John Moses Browning's designed 1911's built by Colt, and they are GEMS all the way!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, thanks for the enthusiasm :mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

On the loose screws! The Buckmark or mine , you ask?

Here it is 10 months later, and about a 1000 rounds, and I'm sick and tired of tighting up the rear sight base screws after every 50 to 100 rounds!!

I called Browning this morning and asked if they have resolved this problem, and the CSR told me to use blue Lok- tite, that's what they use.

If you look at a post in this thread, the first time I called them, they told me not to use this product because it would be hard to remove the screws.

I have not had the cracked sight base, and tighten the screws very tight, but they still become loose.

Other then using Loc-tite, the only other thing he could suggest was to replace the lock washers again. Just keep replacing them is their idea of a solution!

It's a good thing that my wife and self don't shoot this gun alot!

I was going to buy another for myself, but talked myself out of it for now.

Does anyone with other then a camper have this problem with the rear sight base screws loosening up?

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
FourFive said:
Like res1b3uq, that you also had bad luck with modern Browning products? Maybe my last, if this continues. Saying that, I have 2 of John Moses Browning's designed 1911's built by Colt, and they are GEMS all the way!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, thanks for the enthusiasm :mad:
The Buckmarks weren't designed by John Browning. The Colt Woodsman was and the older Browning Challenger/Medalist were designed by his grandson, Bruce Browning. I have no idea who designed the Buckmark. Some people really like them, and others don't. There is no doubt that they were designed to fill a need of a good, inexpensive 22lr pistol. They aren't of the same "old world" craftmanship as the old Challengers. You can still get the old Challengers, slightly used at about the same price as you would pay for the new Buckmarks. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use Blue Locktite on scope screws all the time and I do not have any trouble breaking them loose with a good wrench of the proper size. What ever Browning uses for the barrel screw, it is much tougher to break loose than blue locktite.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Carolina Curley for the advice!

Browning is sending me new lock washers for the 2 screws that secure the rear sight base, and I'll try the blue loc-tite.

Hope, after all this time, it cures the problem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.