Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Barrel Help

399 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dtoggs
Ok Guys here it goes.
I am building my ultimate and I have some questions maybe some of the experts can help with. I plan on using a Green Mountain 16” sporter stainless barrel. The only problem is that it comes without sights or dovetails for the sights to go into. So has anybody else out there bought a GM barrel and decided that they wanted back up irons and if so what did you go with? I would like to stay away from the fiber optic sights and stick with just plain old irons. I know Williams has an extensive line of different sights but trying to explain the situation on the phone proved to be rather difficult. Because I also will be using a scope with the power custom scope base so the iron sights need to sit higher than the factory sights to be able to see them with the scope base attached to the receiver.
The next question I have is will installing sights that sit higher effect my POI and make the whole process of installing the sights pointless?

I know that they’re has to be a way to accomplish this and have it all work out ok. Does anybody have the exact heights that I will need or maybe the part numbers of the sights?

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated Thank You.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,297 Posts
sights

If you can mock everything up, and measure it all out, you can achieve everything that you are asking by utilizing shims, and raising the front sight in relation to the rear sight. When I picture it all in my head, I ask if it would be possible to simply modify(hog out) the base/ring pieces so that none of this "Stuff" had to be dealt with at all?
If I were trying to do this, I would simply have two barrels, it only tales a moment to change barrels, and just a few minutes to sight in. Once you have sighted each barrel in, they should re-mount to thier own "Zero" id everything else is properly done. :t

· Registered
304 Posts
iron sights idea

I also would like to install back up iron sights on a target barrel. I am measuring parts and think I have a solution. I believe that a 3/8 dovetail could be cut into the scope mount for the factory rear sight. then a remington 700 front sight ramp can be soldered on the barrel to bring the front blade up to level. Does anyone know if there is a special file required to make the slot for the sight or does this have to be done with a milling machine?

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Both front and rear sights on my Remington Model Seven are held in place with screws..... Could you drill and tap your barrel and use some Remington sights? You would probably have to reshape the crown on the bases slightly.

· Registered
304 Posts
I have seen the GM barrel listed. I just don't like the looks of the firesight. Changing the radius of the remington front sight to allow mounting will not be an issue. However there are other ramps that would make an cleaner install. Willams made a set for heavy barreled "safari rifles" I just don't have one sitting in my parts drawer. To me the front sight will no present much of an issue. The instalation of the rear blade presents the problems. How to mount it high enough to allow use without requirement of removing the scope mount base.

· Registered
413 Posts
Say mr uglystick,why not go for a front barrel band for the front sight to be mounted in. You wouldn't run risk of ruining barrel, AND, it could be rotated,just in case you were a LITTLE off center. Set screw would hold it in place-besure to use a ******* size metric instead of a 6-48 ha ha. Paul W.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.