Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a Deluxe Sporter that I will use for open-sight plinking and target shooting. I am kind of a prefectionist, so I plan to send it to Randy at CPC for his full, trigger bolt and barrel tune-up. I am also considering getting a Green Mountain drop in barrel. All of this raises some questions:

Will the bolt and barrel work that Randy does limit me to match ammunition?

What kind of difference can I expect in accuracy between the non-bull Green Mountain barrel and an "accurized" standard barrel? (This is another way of asking, is the GM barrel worth the extra cost?)

Why does Randy need to do anything to the aftermarket barrels? Aren't they manufactured to high tolerances as it is?

If I get a GM barrel, should I go with the running boar barrel instead of a tapered barrel?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
SteveHardy said:
Will the bolt and barrel work that Randy does limit me to match ammunition?
After a barrel tune up you will have a tighter chamber, but if memory sreves me well Randy doesn't make them quite as tight as a Bentz ..... Randy could better answer that question.

SteveHardy said:
What kind of difference can I expect in accuracy between the non-bull Green Mountain barrel and an "accurized" standard barrel? (This is another way of asking, is the GM barrel worth the extra cost?)
Chances are the GM sporter barrel would be marginally more accurate.

SteveHardy said:
Why does Randy need to do anything to the aftermarket barrels? Aren't they manufactured to high tolerances as it is?
Read through the information on Randy's website, he goes into that quite well.

SteveHardy said:
If I get a GM barrel, should I go with the running boar barrel instead of a tapered barrel?
Depends, how much weight do you want? Additional weight can be condusive to good target shooting, of course myself I would most likely go with a short GM bull barrel with Fire Sights. But thats me.

Dave Z.

·
36,633 Posts
The barrel that Randy sets back and rechamber and recrowns seem to shoot right with the aftermarket barrels and certainly fit the "Super Stock" ideal alot closer. I'm looking for a good stock barrel right now to continue my Super Stock. You will not be limmited to match ammo but I don't believe you will be able to shoot "Stinger" ammo in it....small loss that!!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Most people consider that the extra weight helps improve accuracy when shooting off hand. If you like the open sights and want a heavy barrel GM makes one with Firesights.

I like a 16" bull barrel for shooting off hand, it's not terribly front heavy but just about perfect.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I have a super stock 10/22 walmart special that [email protected] did all the mods to that you want done. He reworked the factory barrel it shoots very well.

here it is, he also turned down the front sight base for me.

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
Yep, I do 10/22 Tuneups using the original Ruger carbine barrels for people on RFC that ask... (My website says I don't do them but its old an ugly an since Im backed up with tuneup work at a 3.5 to 4 week turnaround I have no intention of puttin lipstick on that old pig)...
Some people want the sights left on, some want them lathe turned off, either way its good... Prices / address / options are currant on website... I normally describe the accuracy of a Tune-up'ed Ruger carbine barrel as being the same if you just stuck a aftermarket barrel on it - but with none of the probems...

·
36,633 Posts
Glad to hear you're staying busy. This "Super Stock" thing is starting to get some traction. I just think the concept is very sound and it has to be a kick to take your 10/22 out to the range and watch the faces of folks seeing them shoot that well. I'm startng to look for a barrel for mine. I have the 76 Liberty Carbine and Randy says some of those barrels aren't the best to start with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.