Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday, I was talking to one of the LGS guy, he asked me if I was interested in a Dan Manson Crown cutting tool, he bought last year, opened the box, looked at it, closed the box and buried it unused, in the gun safe. I currently have no need for the tool (that I know of), but the price he quoted was extremely reasonable, he wants a new shotgun. He works again tomorrow, it will pick it up then. Apparent it’s the smaller of the 2 kits offered, but has both the 22 caliber and 30 caliber arbors.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Jack, the kit works really well. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you a little dark thread cutting oil to lube the cutters, and you will be good to go if needed. Also Dave Manson has a few YouTube videos showing how it works, and it’s just as easy as he makes it look.
I have done 7 of my rifles, 6 needed recrowned, and I cut a Lilja barrel for a 77/22 Ruger down 2 1/2” and then refinished the end of the barrel with the kit. On every single one I picked up a least a little accuracy, and on a couple I gained quite a bit.👍

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cutters are 0 and 11 degrees in my set.
I believe as ‘olshooter says it’s a 0 degree cutter to cut the barrel face perpendicular to the bore, then the 11degree cutter that put a “target” crown on the barrel end, the a 45 degree chamfer cutter that breaks the edge on the outside edge/rim of the barrel end.

I also ordered a power driver adapter for an electric screw driver and a spare set of carbide cutter inserts

what did you use to “blacken” the recrowned area??

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
I used Oxpho Creme from Brownell's. I also use Dicropan and other touch up agents as required because different steels take the blue differently. I lke to heat the metal slightly, wipe down with 99% alcohol and use 4-0 steel wool to work the blue in gently, seems to do a better job than just applying with a cloth.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Oxpho Creme from Brownell's. I also use Dicropan and other touch up agents as required because different steels take the blue differently. I lke to heat the metal slightly, wipe down with 99% alcohol and use 4-0 steel wool to work the blue in gently, seems to do a better job than just applying with a cloth.
Thank you !!

·
The Mod Squad
6,499 Posts
I have the Manson kit for .22 only, it works really well when the instructions are followed. I re-crowned my Kimber 82 G with it, took it from this....
Nice! I'd kind of like to do my 82G but that's the only rifle I have that I'd probably do it to. For $375 I guess I'll have to decide how bad I want it re-crowned or if it can wait until visit my brother again sometime.

Does Manson actually sell a kit for .22 only? Or do I need to order the parts to make the kit? I looked on the website and catalog and it's kind of confusing to know what's actually needed to do the job

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m now eyeing the crown on the Remington 510 Targetmaster (single shot), maybe a Guinea pig for the new tool??
It sounds like you are set up with a shop and the equipment to have gun mod fun.

As 'ol Shooter mentioned, Dicropan is a touchup option for small jobs like this. I use a Cue-tip. It is quick, easy, instant, and is the only stuff I have discovered so far that blends perfectly and stays on rather permanently. I am running low on the gallon I bought from Brownell's years ago. It replaced a previous gallon. I am careful to have the metal very clean and warm before using it. I try to get rid of all cutting oil remnants first. But as an experiment, I once tried using Dicropan on a surface that still had cutting oil film. It worked anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts