Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Barrel cleaning. How often?

347 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  xenophobe
hey guys how often do you clean the bores of your rifles? when you clean do you notice a fall off of accuracy until the barrel gets fouled again. do you notice a barrel shooting better as it gets conditioned to a particular ammo? :confused:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,156 Posts
nemohunter said:
hey guys how often do you clean the bores of your rifles?
After every range session except directly before and during hunting season.

when you clean do you notice a fall off of accuracy until the barrel gets fouled again.
Yes, it took me about 5 shots or so before it was shooting to the POA that it was dialed in for before.

do you notice a barrel shooting better as it gets conditioned to a particular ammo? :confused:
When trying different ammo, it takes a few rounds before you should test accuracy. I do not believe it takes more than 10 rounds, but of course your milage may vary.

· Registered
836 Posts
nemohunter said:
hey guys how often do you clean the bores of your rifles? when you clean do you notice a fall off of accuracy until the barrel gets fouled again. do you notice a barrel shooting better as it gets conditioned to a particular ammo? :confused:
nemohunter,

BOY you opened a can of worms! The debate about this issue can go on for years. Personally I cleaning regiment varies depending on how I feel. When I do clean my rifles I just use a couple of wet patches and a few dry ones and I'm off to the shooting bench again.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
623 Posts
With 22s?

Dry boresnake before shooting.

Shoot for the day.

Then boresnake with solvent at the 'head' of the snake' before the brush, and a liberal amount of oil on the tail of the snake. Pull through once, I'm done.

I only use coppercoat and this seems to work fine. Lead always seems to foul more for me, and causes more cleaning, which isn't necessarily a good thing for .22 bores, so I avoid it at all costs.

Do I treat my centerfire match-grade or sniper rifles like this? No.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.