Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

barrel cant + scope adjustment

254 4
I have a brand new 10/22 and have put 3 scopes on it and can not get the scopes adjusted to shoot high enough. 2 Simmons 1022T and one BSA 4-16, all with the adjustment all the way up still shoot 3 inches low at 50 yds.
I spoke with Simmons and they said the scope may be defective (2 of them). Put the BSA on it and the same thing.

Thanks so much to SWFA for their kindness.

Now........ I measured with a straight edge (sitting on top of the scope rail) from the roof of the chamber to the roof of the barrel at the muzzle and the barrell has a downward cant of 50 thousandths. The barrell is very tight in the receiver.
So.. was the receiver drilled off center? or is the barrel bent???
Any suggestion appreciated. I'm calling Ruger tomorrow. I don't believe it is the scopes. I'm also using the factory supplied rail.

Thanks for your replys.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have no experience with the factory supplied rail but if you'll remove it & use a good straight edge you may find a "Bump" at the forward end of the receiver. This bump will cause your problem & can be removed so your scope sits properly.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I believe this is what they call barrel droop?? One thing you could do to solve the problem is to shim the rear of the scope, maybe a foil gum wrapper under the scope. You could also pick up a set of Burris Signature rings and some inserts and correct the problem. Another thing is a replacement barrel block made by Gunsmither, you can find them at Gunbroker.com Joe is a great guy to deal with. I believe I seen them at one of the sponsors sites, but not sure which one. Maybe Staffords.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're using see-thrus, do yourself a favor and throw them away immediately.

The reciever could be at fault too. Ruger factory tolerances are an oxymoron. There aren't any. The barrel could be off in any direction, depending on how early/late in the day, the phase of the moon, or marital situation of the worker involved with that process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.