Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Green Mountain barrel on my Ruger 77/17 yesterday.
I was wondering what would be the best way to break it in, or does it really need to be broke in????
Thank You
Chris

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Mr.C.C.,
while opinions may vary, I'd be willing to bet most will agree that a gentle break-in certainly wouldn't hurt any bore.
Cleaning all factory preservatives before firing is very important.
Only fire in a dry bore.
Some clean every shot for X number of rounds, then every couple of shots, and so on, and so on till they feel comfortable its broke in. Using care while cleaning, so's not to damage the bore, is perhaps the most important of all.
Many folks like the following link:
Barrel cleaning
Clear as mud?
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
708 Posts
I didnt clean my bore for 350rds, I then ran bore snake through it and have shot it since. Id venture to say mines fine. but I wouldnt recomend going that long before cleaning. id go no more than 50rds thin clean or clean 10 shots clean 10 shot clean something to that effect.

but I realy dont think it matters much.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Evan, ole buddy,check with any of the big time shooters, I think you'll have a pretty tough time finding one that agrees with you. Break in does matter with jacketed bullets. A little extra effort on break-in pays big dividends on accuracy and especially in ease of cleaning. .22 rimfires don't need much if any , but it's important to rub off the rough spots on a new barrel so copper jacketing doesn't build up with every round down the spout. That's my view of it and I'm sticking to it . Good shooting to all.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

·
Registered
770 Posts
amen mountdoug,

the idea is that the jacketed bullet, being harder, will burnish some of the burs left in the machining process. but, it is also copper that fouls the bore at the same time, due to the same burs. so ifin you shoot, clean, shoot, clean... what you should get is a smooth polished bore were it will be mutch harder for the copper and powder to build up in the future, and MUTCH easier to clean, as there won't be all the nooks and cranies for the copper and powder to build up in.

if you just shoot shoot shoot, you just fill the nooks and cranies up with copper fouling, and never properly season the bore, and then wonder why it always takes so long to get clean patches out of the barrel. they may not come out black, but how about green?

·
Registered
708 Posts
i broke my 22/250 in like that shoot a few clean shoot a few clean shoot a few more clean, on and on, that turned out to be the worst shooting rifle Ive owned, I free floated the barrel. tried difrent scopes. leupolds. finaly traded it for my 17. another guy bought it, and traded it back shortly after. must just been a lemon. that was the first rifle I ever bought and the first one I got rid of.

I should have cleaned my 17 barrel but got lazy, grrrrrrrrrrrr plus didnt have brushes or cleaning stuff available.

I saw break im shoot clean shoot. it might fit under the broke dont fix it mentality. or it might help. i think it would vary between rifles. and yeah it would because a bore isnt cut the same between two bores coming off the cnc one after another.

but yeah these guys do know more then me I was just stateing my opions and expserince so far with ver little up keep on my bore

Evan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.