Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a 25" x 1.25 dia. ss Hart barrel mounted to a Remington 700 short action, .223 cal. Is there any advantage in bedding the action or barrel on something this heavy?
Thank you for your input!!!
Mikexxxx

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bedding the action is almost always worth doing, most float heavy barrels, sporter weight barrels many times like some pressure usually at the forend tip to dampen vibration especially on centerfires.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that that heavy barrel needs all the support from the action it can get. Personally--I'bed the action(front--and rear) and at least the length of the chamber area--lengeth of area determined by how long the cartridge is. It seems to work for me--ot it has in the past. I'm going out in 'bout an hour to test a rifle I just bedded--it has a heavy barrel--but it's a rimfire--I think the rules still apply. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've owned 7 different heavy barrel rifles over the past 30-35 years and have bedded/free floated them all. I started by only bedding the action with no support at all under the barrel. I got good results, but with each subsequent job I made small changes. A couple didn't seem to make any difference, but some did. The way I do it now gives me the most consistent results and best accuracy. The barrel channel is opened up to eliminate all contact and provide enough room for a business card to pass from one end to the other. I remove stock material from under the action leaving only enough contact area under the front and rear of the action to position it in the stock properly but not having any contact elsewhere. I then glass under the rear tang and the forward area of the action starting at the front of the magazine well forward to the balance point of the barreled action. Have the scope removed to find the balance point. I believe this eliminates all stress on the barrel to action union and my range results are not just good, but great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.