Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three new barrels a VQ Carbon a GM second and a Magnum Research. the GM and the Mag will both shoot 10 shots at 50 yards that you can cover with a quarter. the VQ shoots about 3/4" other than the barrel the guns are identical with the usual mods. the VQ has about 200 rounds through it. Does it require a longer breakin? The mag shot its first ten shots just as good as any the GM shot great after 50. the VQ is still dissapointing. Also, whats kind of odd is they all shoot CCI Blazers better than anything else. This is OK because I get blazers 6.99 a brick. How do lead bullets affect a barrel? Do I need to do anything about lead fouling? Most guys here dont seem to clean their bores as much as I do. when hunting I usually shot 50-100 shots, clean and put away. Do you guys put yours away without cleaning after less than 100 shots? btw I clean with a weed eater line and patches and hoppes #9.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think you can clean too much with a weed eater string patch kit. I don't clean that much, but need to. I think it all depends on barrel,( SS or Steel) bullet type, (Lead/coated) weather (Hot/ cold, "Wet") and just how bad the power and gases foul the works up. 2 cents worth

·
Registered
936 Posts
nofun1 said:
I have three new barrels a VQ Carbon a GM second and a Magnum Research. the GM and the Mag will both shoot 10 shots at 50 yards that you can cover with a quarter. the VQ shoots about 3/4" other than the barrel the guns are identical with the usual mods. the VQ has about 200 rounds through it. Does it require a longer breakin? The mag shot its first ten shots just as good as any the GM shot great after 50. the VQ is still dissapointing. Also, whats kind of odd is they all shoot CCI Blazers better than anything else. This is OK because I get blazers 6.99 a brick. How do lead bullets affect a barrel? Do I need to do anything about lead fouling? Most guys here dont seem to clean their bores as much as I do. when hunting I usually shot 50-100 shots, clean and put away. Do you guys put yours away without cleaning after less than 100 shots? btw I clean with a weed eater line and patches and hoppes #9.
Some barrels are rougher than others although (at least in my case) it doesn't seem to affect accuracy too much. The bore of my GM "2nd" is rougher than a cob and it takes alot of scrubbin' to get the leading out of it at the end of the day. However it's nicely accurate, around an inch @ 50 yds with most "off the shelf" ammo and 5/8th or less with Wolf M/T. (Green Tag almost as good) My rifle likes Blazers too and for the price I think it's one of the better "bulk type" brands.

I generally run a patch with Hoppes #9 thru the bore every 50 rds or so, more often if I'm trying to shoot "serious" with target ammo. I think a lot of guys see a nice shiney bore after running a couple patches through and figure their barrel is "clean". However if you examine the rifling with a magnifying glass and good light it's easy to see the leading and rough spots if there are any. I'm experimenting with different products that may work a little better than #9 at removing lead albeit without the good ol' "banana smell" :D

I'd like to see a poll of different solvents to see what other folks are using in their barrels...............

Dennis

BTW, my rifle didn't settle down and start functioning reliably until a couple hundred rounds went down the tube......

·
Registered
46 Posts
xenophobe said:
I thought you're only supposed to shoot copper-plate through the nice barrels. hmm....
where did you hear this? wolf ammo is is lead and some of the agular(sp!?) stuff is as well

i picked up some blazer ammo and shot my best groups today didnt measue it but it was 3 shots high and 1.5-2 wide for a 10 shot group.. only mods so far are a clerke 20 in ss barrel, a fajen stock and a semi polished trigge group that didnt lower pull by much

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use JB bore brite and other "lapers" on my barrels, along with shooting/cleaning/shooting/cleaning..................

In the end my barrels clean easy, but I dont know how much I remove from the barrel. I feel all my guns shoot well, but have never really bench rest shot them and toyed with exact ammo. I use CCI Green Tag for accuracy and Federal Match to show off.

I feel break in is very important for guns and barrels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I wasnt clear, my fingers cant keep up with my brain. When I shoot 3 shot groups with the GM and Mag Res they are usually touching,or very close. Five shot gourps are 1/2" or better, and if I shoot 10 you can cover with a quarter. the VQ is worse in all types of groups. VQ shoots 5 shots 3/4"-1", which is still sub minute of squirrel but looks terrible when putting all 3 barrels on paper. I guess I just expected much better with VQ having such a big name. I'll give it a little more time before I give up on it. I heard you arent supposed to polish the VQ barrel is this true? what do you guys shoot in your VQ barrels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I hate to but in with a question thats not 100% on this topic but I dont want to post new threads on stuff that I could ask in here. Anyway how does the stock barrel shoot? Just how much improvemnt is a bull barrel? at 50 yards and under? I want to mod it to make the barrel free floating and DYE the stock. Before spending $200 on a new stock and barrel id rather just put that towards a different gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Stock barrels do shoot about 1.5" at 50. I think mine was a little worse. Tried all the tricks to get the group down, but nothing really worked. The new GM barrel already is very smooth. I polished up a 17 HMR and know what a rough barrel feels like. I bought a GM 18 inch fluted stainless and it is shooting 9 groups out of 12 under 1/2 inch in a heavy crosswind with American Eagles. I just got two more bricks today and will see if they can keep up with the old lot I am shooting. The other groups where very close to 1/2 inch. Best group was .29 The old American Eagles where $10 dollars a box, the new stuff is $8 a box. I got a feeling they are not going to impress me. Marketing wants us to pay more. The Dynapoints where good but did not do as good as the Am Eagle. I will be shooting the new ones tomorrow if the wind can go down a bit.

A new GM barrel will certainly make your day better, but don't forget bedding, trigger, and all the other goodies that help. I had already done all this, but my brother did not. I sent him the same barrel, and he had a miserable day trying to shoot USBR targets when he showed up during the holiday. He finally grabbed my old Win 72 with a peep sight and out shot me on the 3 inch dinger at 62 yards offhand. He could hit it twice as often as I could. That made him feel better. :)

Just a quick edit, I am hearing that the new GM sporter barrels are shooting as good as the bulls. Just what I have heard. Might be getting one of those too.

barbwire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.