Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't know about "Recommending" it, but I use a bag of sand from Home Depot. 50 pound bag for a couple bucks goes a looooong way and fills many bags.

I use a small necked automotive (Oil, other fluids, etc.) funnel.

Put the funnel neck into the filler neck (may require some "force" and rotation to start), squeeze filler neck, add sand into funnel, a small amount (Soup ladle or so) at a time. I use a Swede Mauser cleaning rod and/or small flat head screw driver to assist/push/fill. Push it through sand in funnel, down neck and into bag. Pull back and forth to help sand enter, then push it around inside bag. Works for me and doesn't take too long.

Have also used a bag of lead bird shot (#7 or #8 I think it was). Wow, talk about heavy! That sucker didn't move! Alas, also expensive (About $25.00 a bag). Will stick with Home Depot sand.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've used reptile sand from the local exotic pet shop mixed with a bit of talc.

Clean, dry, reasonably heavy and with the talc, flows down a funnel pretty well.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Mix some baby powder with the sand and it will flow easier thru the funnel and into the bad.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
I use the heavy sand from Sinclair in my rear bags. It is black in color and a lot heaver than beach sand and it flows into the bag better. Exactly what it is I don't know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i have no idea what those bags are, but i just use cut off jean-legs and fill them with wheat and tie off the ends. it's lighter than sand and works well. :t

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Executioner said:
I just got my Protektor bags. What do you all recommend to fill them with and how do you get it in them? :eek: Thanks
If you are not going to use zircon heavy sand, or an equivalent sand blasting sand, the very fine grained quartz reptile sand from a pet store is OK. Don't use the colored, large grain calcium carbonate reptile sand. If you end up using plain sand, choose the fine-grained beach sand over the coarse-grained play sand.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Heavy bags . . .

That heavy zircon sand from Sinclair ain't cheap. Costs $18.50 for a 15 lb. bag, plus shipping. HEAVY is good in a back rabbit ear bag, and lead shot is the BEST heavy. But most of the National Associations say SAND in their rules. Lead shot is a No-No. I have lead shot in one of my rear bags, but could not use it in National competition. So: Ya want heavy, ya gota buy zircon sand, at a heavy price. (If ya wan'a be legal).

Mr. Frosty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.