Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good looking range. What are you using for a backstop behind the KYL and targets?
Trying the horse stall matts. Cut one into 4 chunks for the test. One thickness doen't do much. Just added a second layer before this photo today. Hope to get out and see if I need to add more.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I was thinking of getting 3 or 4 , 4’x4’ 3/8” plate sheets mybe 1 or 2 ,4’x4’ 1/2” plate. As expensive as sheet steel is today I changed my mind to 1 4x4 1/2 plate.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Second layer of the 3/4" rubber stall pad wasn't much better than the one. Just added layers 3 and 4. Hope to get out tomorrow for some testing. I am thinking if this doesn't work I will add a steel plate behind the rubber.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are planning on using mild steel for your backer, do not shoot center fire rifles at them.

I had some thick scrap steel and 223 and 308 will go thru 1/2 to 3/4 inch steel at 100 and almost thru at 200.

I knew the targets wouldn't last but I didn't expect to have one shot laser a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of the targets on my range are 1/2 or thicker AR-500 at 75', 50 yds, 100 yds and 150 yds. Shot some 30-06 AP one day and it did dimple a couple of my 5/8 swingers at 100 yds. Won't do that again.

Plant People in nature Leaf Natural landscape Tree
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Green Vertebrate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts