Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and really have enjoyed reading about all of the improvements i can make to my 15 year old 10/22.
I did the automatic bolt release and really like the way it works but I have one question, I think i might have ground off too much metal because i bumped it against the floor with the bolt pulled back and locked and the bolt closed by itself, has anyone else had this happen to them?
I used the picture in tips and tricks to gauge how much metal to grind off and its very similar to mine.
I don't think it would be a problem but would like to hear your comments. thanks,
oldhunter

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think any 10/22 with this modification will do this when the bolt is 'bounced'. It's really no different than pulling back on the handle. IMHO, I don't think it's anything to worry about. If you had really taken off too much metal, the bolt would not lock back at all..........

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Oldhunter - Welcome to RFC

With the modification all of them
will slam shut when the butt of the rifle is bumped against anything.

That is what you did when you removed
the metal from it.The inertia of the bolt carries it rearward enough to
release the bolt stop,which is held only
by a spring.It disingages letting the bolt slam shut.

No problem unless you have a loaded
magizine in the gun.

Just one of Bill Rugers safty features that we all try to "improve"
upon.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Lawsuit Waiting to Happen ?

:) The best way to "Improve" on Mr. Ruger's bolt hold open device is to polish the elongated lower hole edges, and the "Heart" shaped hole edges with a "Cratex" point in a Dremel tool. Fine sandpaper also works. Rounding off the sharp "Tit" of the "Heart", and polishing the hole edges makes the factory original bolt hold open work much smoother and faster, and doesn't eliminate the built in safety feature! :eek:

With a very light trigger, and a loaded magazine, the potential for accidental discharge is very real with a ground out, totally modified hold open. I wouldn't want to have to try and explain why I did this to a judge and jury. :(

For the utmost in safety, I recommend polishing the factory original part only, not grinding away the safety feature. I prefer to sacrifice a bit of speed and convenience for safety.

Try polishing your factory part, and round off the "Tit" slightly. It will work much slicker, and still be safe. SAFE SHOOTIN ! Joe :cool:

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
View from the other side... As a LEFT HAND shooter I find the stock Ruger bolt close lever nearly impossible to use... Yes, modified, a knock on the butt end of stock will close bolt unexpected at times, but, still with the auto-bolt closure modification - I find it safer than fighting with the stock Ruger lever... This seems to be a left handed problem, maybe other left hand shooters will answer?

We see the question over and over on this board of "What is the first change I should make on my 10/22... Right hand shooters always answer - "Trigger Job"... I think left hand shooters might answer putting a extended magazine release in and a auto-bolt release are on top of changes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Randy,

As a southpaw, I agree. Very dangerous for me to use the stock bolt release. Same with the magazine release. Two very common problems. Just another southpaw's perspective. My $.01 after taxes.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Southpaw Slick Up - Bolt Release

:) I can certainly understand a Stock 10/22 Bolt Hold Open being extremely awkward for a Southpaw Shooter to operate. It's also very awkward for us right handers. I'm not sure why you would say it's dangerous, though. A ground out style is dangerous, in my opinion.

I apologize for my "Right Handed, Politically Insensitive" rant about almost Stock versus gound out hold opens in 10/22's. As a "Right Handed" Snob, I was unintentionally inconsiderate of my Port Sided Bretheren.

Today, I practised manipulating the Bolt, and Polished, almost Stock Hold Open, on one of my personal 10/22's, with my left hand. I was quite comfortably able to retract the Bolt with the thumb of my left hand, and operate the "Polished", almost Stock Hold Open with very little effort with my third finger on my left hand. I should add that I also bend the top arm of the hold open spring down about 10-15 degrees, about 1/2" back from the end, to lessen the effort needed to push the hold open into place, or release it. This is a nice touch no matter what type of hold open your using. ;)

When the hole edges are polished, and the "Tit" slightly rounded off and polished, as per my earlier post, the almost Stock 10/22 Hold Open works very slickly, with none of the hang ups caused by the sharp "Tit", and rough, stamped hole edges. Most importantly, it retains the important safety feature of the original design, and will not jump off and allow the bolt to close no matter how hard it's dropped, or bumped, as Mr. Ruger intended. (On some units, there is also a very small "tit" at the bottom of the "Heart" that needs removal/smoothing, also.)

As a gunsmith, I will not do any modification to a firearm that disables a safety feature. I strongly suggest to all users of 10/22's that you try just polishing the Stock Hold Open, rather than grind out the safety feature. Polishing will make it much easier to operate than the Factory part, and still safely hold the bolt open. SAFE SHOOTIN ! Joe :cool:

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
Port-sided - thats funny... Appox 15% of population is port-sided, another 5% shoot portsided because thats their dominate eye, I's is one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.