Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who is a lefty and has made a left handed safty for his MKII. It looks and works great. If he were to build a bach of these do you think the lefties of the world buy them? Or is someone already building one?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pics please!!! I'm a leftie too. My Springfield 1911 has an ambi safety and my Ruger P89 manual saftey is ambi. Would really be neat to have one for my MKII.

How much work would be required to install one? Is it a true ambi saftey or just mounted on the right side?

·
Registered
847 Posts
For you Lefties out there,

I cut a curved slot on the frame, opposite the safety. Threaded the backside of the safety button (6-40), notched the hammer, made an extention that passes thru previously mentioned slot and attached to the threaded hole. Ain't pretty, but it works. A pic is in the Ruger-Other gallery (Open Class 22/45).

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's a market for a left-handed safety that's well-made and reliable, but I don't think there's the sort of demand as you'll find for the ambi safety on a Colt 1911. I pretty much have to have the latter for a tactical firearm. I almost never leave my Ruger Mk II loaded with the safety on--I'm either shooting it, have it pointed downrange or it's unloaded. I sometimes forget the MkII even has a safety.

Still, I'd buy a lefty safety--the feature would probably get me to use it simply because it's more accessible--a control that's out of sight or hard to use falls into disuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.