Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and suffered an out of battery firing. That is, the 22LR cartridge fired when the trigger was pulled but the slide was not all the way forward (closed).

The case failed to seat totally in the chamber, I guess, as the case split at the rim and left a bulge about 1/16 inch wide from the end of the case to the front edge of the bulge. Looks like the slide was out of battery when the firing pin struck.

The result was some smoke curling out of the bolt muzzle area, bits of something sprayed on me, and burned powder residue on the next cartridge in line in the magazine. There was no damage to the gun or me but it gave reason to pause for a few to figure out what happened. At the time it had about 300 rounds through it since the last cleaning and the breech area was pretty dirty. It did not repeat this stunt during the rest of the session which was about 100 more rounds. I did not clean it during this session, even after the out of battery firing.

Most modern guns are so designed as to not shoot out of battery but there is alway a tolerance on that. I guess the Berretta 87 Target has a bigger tolerance than most guns (????).

Yes, I still love it, expecially since doing the trigger job on it that I reported here earlier. No, I don't think the trigger job had a thing to do with it!

LDBennet

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did you pull the trigger to get the out of battery round to fire, or did it go off while chambering the next round to be fired? If it was the latter it sounds like your fireing pin was sticking out, perhaps from too much fouling.. (not allowing the FP to go back into the breach.) If your chamber was dirty and didn't alow it to go into the chamber fully try this.. Take a nylon cleaning brush (like you'd screw onto a cleaning rod), bend it at a 90 degree angle far enough back to be about the length of a .22 round. When shooting lots of ammo in between cleaning, run the bent end into the chamber and give it a couple of twists to remove some of the fouling there. That 87 may have a tight chamber and not be to tolerent of crud build up.. If it does it again I'd take the gun in and have it looked at. Just some thoughts....
And of course WEAR safety glasses!
Good Luck, CraigJS

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CraigJS:

I am guessing that it was out of battery when I pulled the trigger. I cleaned it today (along with two other pistols, two rifles, and a shotgun, all shot on this last weekend-WHEW!) and it will fire out of battery by as much a 1/8 inch. At the time the chamber was dirty, so I assume the cartridge did not seat all the way due to the dirty chamber. We were firing a mix of ammos: surplus CZech target, CCI Blazer. The bulk of the firing was with Blazer but the out of battery firing was the CZech stuff. It only happen once and I did not clean it after that and still shot another 100 rounds. This gun has more than a couple of bricks through it, is well broken in, and has never done this before or since. It only takes bit of something in the chamber. I was amazed that it would fire out of battery by 1/8 inch, but I guess that is pretty typical.

LDBennett

·
Registered
221 Posts
LD,

You're exactly right! I took mine tonight to see how far out of battery the slide could be and still drop the hammer. It was at least 1/8", maybe a bit more.

I too am surprised it can fire so far out of battery. Thanks for the heads up.

Good shooting

CCV

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mine will fire about 1/16th of an inch out of Battery also. But before the
hammer hits home the slide will close. I can't hold it open when the hammer
hits home. I think you had some bad overcharged ammo IMO. In other words
a Kaboom. What you discribe is exactly how a Kaboom acts. You are probably
lucky it was not worse.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ftstinyc:

Since it was match ammo I suspect the fit in the chamber was tight or that the cartridge had a hard time entering the chamber, bent at the bullet case junction (see that all the time on auto 22's), stuck part way in, and fired with the slide partially open. It can be seen from the case that it was not seated in the chamber when the powder went off.

That's my guess at least. I still am surprised that the Berreta allows the slide to be open 1/8 inch and still fire.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I got news for you my friend both my Smith 41 and my Buckmark pro-target
do the same thing. The 41 gets a little closer before the hammer drops but
the pro-target is the same as the Beretta. Both close the slide before hitting
home. I don't have my HS anymore so I couldn't try it on that. I traded it in
to buy as Anschutz rifle. Don't see any differents on how the Beretta acts
compared to my other auto's. The hammer will start to drop on all of them
before the slide is closed.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first thought was that my High Standard had a much closer spec for firing without the slide completley closed. My recollection was 0.010 inches but further investigation was that it was 0.010 inches from the hood on the barrel to the slide face and the hood is at least 1/16 to 1/8 inch long so it too will shoot out of battery by 1/16 inch or more.

In turns out that in most of the implimentations of this safety feature the trigger bar is pushed out of engagement from the sear by a slot in the underside of the slide rails of the slide. I guess that "linkage" is loose enough that it is hard to get it to be too tight or the gun might have problems with too many misfires. I was mislead by the High Standard repair manual when I did not thoroughly read that manual. Sorry.

LDBennett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.