Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I recently acquired this gun as my first 22. it was used. I just had a chance to shoot it. my time at the range was more or less checking out the gun to make sure things are working the way it should i.e., pull trigger it goes bang. being my first 22, I don't have any ammo for it. I bought the only 22lr ammo the ranged carried federal game shock (I believe that is what is it). I had no miss fires or any jams. it will fire as fast as I could pull the trigger! it how ever, will not hit the paper target worth a darn! at 25 yards (indoor range longest distance), after a full load (11 rounds), I get 1 hole on the target paper. so, I move the target to 15 yd and subsequently 12 yds. I shot 70 rnds before the guys on both side of my lane decided to shoot some super powerful hand guns. I got a huge headache being knocked around by the sound waves... I know... I am a wimp. so, the conclusion from the range is that the gun functions well.

here are my questions:

after I got home, I took the barrel off and the trigger unit out of the receiver. I noticed lots of burnt residue in the receiver as well as the trigger unit. the face of the barrel where it interface with the receiver also was covered with a film of gun powder residue. at the range, I noticed that all the spent cartridges is covered in residue to about 1/3 of way down. is this what you guys call dirty cartridge? I also looked into the barrel with light and saw a few tiny specks mid way down. I know I can pull patch with mono fishing line so I am ok with that. but the receiver/trigger group... it is very dirty. is this normal? how do you clean this stuff off? do you need to clean this stuff off?

any hints on maintenance you all care to share is very much appreciated.

PS I did manage to find the service PDF for this gun, though i don't understand much of it. Thanks to whom ever posted the link.

thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hash, first, always wear hearing protection. Any time your ears ring, that's the sound dying hearing cells make. They never grow back. Those which ring are lost forever. Indoors, I wear plugs and muffs. My own marksmanship goes south when I'm subjected to loud explosions and muzzle blasts.

Because it's your first .22, you might want to tell us what groups you achieve with other light long guns, so we might compare your skills. Whether you are shooting from a bench or a rest will make a difference, too.

For now, I'd say you could use some basic marksmanship instruction on holding, breathing, sight picture and trigger squeeze. If you can find someone to "sponsor" you in this new endeavor, both of you will benefit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flincher,

thanks for the tips. to answer some of your questions, i was wearing both eye/ear protection. they were both rental since i don't have my own yet. i didn't realize how loud it would be and did not buy ear plugs in addition to renting the muffs. as for not hitting anything, i am ok with that. the gun was not sighted in at all. i was just there to make sure my initial investment wasn't wasted... i guess i could have started with a more popular and vastly cheaper 10/22, i thought this was a neat looking gun. i was shooting standing up. i hold the ATD like i hold any other air rifle i shot in my pass life. i do have to adjust to make room for the ejection port since i normally tuck my right elbo next to my body to form a triangle (i am lefty). i do ok with air rifles when shooting siliouates. anyhoo... main reason of the post to gather info on what is normal for this gun after shooting like how dirty does it get and how and what to clean... etc. if you have any cleaning info, please feel free to share.

thanks again

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hash,You made a good choice.The Browning will shoot well with little maintenance.fflincher offered good advice about the basics,it will all come to you rapidly.I suggest you buy some inexpensive ammunition and shoot from a rest to begin with.By the time your rifle needs a detail cleaning,you will have become a much more accomplished shooter.Welcome to RFC.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hash, I apologze. I checked out your other posts after I wrote and found that you shoot airguns. Marksmanship basics are not only the same, but are more stringent for airgun skills, as the follow-through is important for a longer time after releasing the shot.

You may have some looseness at the take-down joint. This is adjustable, and can be closed up. I have a Norinico clone waiting my attentiion which has the stock broken at the wrist because a former owner tried to use the stock as a handle to get that adjustment too tight, so be warned to hold only to metal when taking up the slack!

Loose sights might be a problem, too. I'd suggest wearing a heavy, long sleeved shirt, and maybe gloves which will keep the hot brass out of your sleeves, and then returning to your air gun stance.

Boley is right, welcome to RFC!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hash,I assumed wrongly about your shooting experience.I apologize for the wording of my post.I hope you are not offended.Best to you,boley

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys,

lol, no harm done. I can _always_ use some critique and practice! thanks guys for all your input. for some strange reason, I was hell bent on cleaning the sucker this weekend. I done some reading on cleaning systems and settled on the otis brand. of course, I can't find it anywhere local... so, I clean all other parts except the barrel/assembly. I took the major parts out of the receiver and cleaned all the stuff off. I didn't punch any of the pins out though. too chicken still. I just did a good scrub down on all the 'large' pieces. the recoil spring was a PIA to put back together! I did do take down joint adjustment. basically, I turn the ring a click at a time till I was _NOT_ able the twist the barrel 90 deg. then I back off a click at a time till I was just able to make the 90 deg turn. work has been busy of late, but as soon as I get a chance, I well shoot some more. I just placed an order at midwayusa for some ammo so...

again thanks for the help. and keep it coming

hash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.