Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see reviews on the AT-one stock that are all over the place. Some folks love them, some say they are cheap and have allot of flex in the adjustments.
I know there are better stocks but I'm interested on input from those who have /have handled this model as I have a chance to buy a 24" AT-One 457 at an excellent price. I'm tempted to add it to my 457 stable.

·
Premium Member
59,680 Posts
Best thing is to find one you can handle your self, I've got a 16.5 inch to use with a suppressor and it's okay fine but not my favorite stock, have a KRG bravo for another rifle that I pretty much despise, others love them. You are the final judge on what works for you.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best thing is to find one you can handle your self, I've got a 16.5 inch to use with a suppressor and it's okay fine but not my favorite stock, have a KRG bravo for another rifle that I pretty much despise, others love them. You are the final judge on what works for you.
Thanks, So what are your thoughts on the comb and LOP adjustments? Functional? Much flex? Do they stay put?

·
Registered
178 Posts
@Tacoma
I bought a NIB 457 AT One with the 16.5" barrel 3 weeks ago... went this way because the wife shoots .22 benchest with me... Having the adjustable stock allows us to both shoot the rifle adjusted for either of us... We have At one stocks for Savages and a 10/22 and I am probably going to order one for my Bergara BMR...
No flex issues with the stock, Adjustments are smooth... everything locks into place and stays... The only downside is that there are no pillars built into the stock which i found disappointing...Working on making homemade pillars into the stock as I found just too much wobble between action and stock... hth...

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I ordered one from Boyds - seemed like a good idea at the time;), don’t dislike it, don’t love it:

Cheekrest has movement (but you can pre-load)
Bolt-on components - “beavertail” (please...;)) forend that isn’t flat enough for shooting from the rest, and “pistol” (really?...;)) grip - look cheap, but they do make it somewhat “better”/ more ergonomic.

Moreover - if it exists, I haven’t found a way to order those "improved" parts instead of “regular” parts”, only “in addition to them”, so I ended up spending almost $400 on mine with tax and shipping!:poop:
At that price point there are better options imo.
It lacks any type of pillars.
Laminate on it looks kinda cheap.

be that all as it very well may the stock is in service, the rifle is in rotation, it looks “ok”, is fairly ergonomic, and the action fits securely and evenly in it.
The one that comes with a rifle is slightly different and imo actually looks “better”/less cheap even though it’s not quite as “custom” - perhaps because of it.
The bottom line is you’ll probably have to buy it regardless, to “get it out of your system” - I’m pretty sure you mentioned this stock before, and deal with the consequences ;) … honestly it’s not “bad”, and getting a rifle with it - instead of getting a stock by itself - is the better way to go imo... plus you get that 24" varmint barrel! (y)

·
Registered
329 Posts
The boyd's version is different from the CZ version. IMO, the boyd's version is fugly.

The CZ version is the front half of a pro varmint with the adjustable buttstock of the at one. So it's basically an adjustable pro varmint.

The inletting around the front action screw is very loose and needs bedding to keep the action in place. I'd guess that would be true of any Boyd's stock for the 457

I like the adjustability. I use the LOP adjustment all the time since prone is so different from every other position. The cheek adjustment could be higher. I'd like another 1/4" or so.

IMO opinion, pass on a Boyds.

·
Premium Member
1,137,220 Posts
I like my AT-ONE 24" but if I was chasing small game I'd put a sling on it as its a 9#er when scoped.

Like Gerald said; fondle one to see if its you.
The only other cons with mine besides the weight are; the metalwork needs stabilization in the generous barrel channel that allows lateral movement. Butt & cheek adjustments are stable but it takes a strong thumb on the quite firm stock adjustment buttons.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I wouldn't let the stock stop me if it's a really good deal, I did the same with my preowned Varmint MTR that was in a Boyd's AT-One stock. I also bought a new nutmeg CZ/Boyd's AT-One stock because it was a super deal @ $100.00. My new Varmint MTR's stock spoiled me as it is day and night more comfortable in every aspect than either AT-Ones, at least to me. My dealer buddy found me a used Varmint MTR stock for the preowned rifle and installed it yesterday, the rifle shot so much better. He's going to try to sell the AT-One stocks.
I went from this
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

to this and will never look back
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My .02....I had been eyeballing one for a loooong time. finally broke down and bought one....honestly in comfort, I'm extremely disappointed. It feels like I'm holding a square block, or a 2x4. I actually just created a thread on it because I think i'm going to round off all the edges. The edges are so sharp that if the stock was metal and not wood, I'd be getting cut. Its heavy too. Real heavy. Thats the negatives.....now the positives. I do feel like its solid and high quality. The adjustments have no play in them. It fits perfectly and required no work to install my action and most important (the main reason I bought it) its absolutely beautiful. My favorite stock i've owned/have is the magpul x22....it does pretty much everything well. Very comfy....not real light, but not as heavy as the boyds.
Would i buy another At-one if i had to? Meh....probably get a varmit hunter instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Walnut MTR stock works perfectly.

Boyds...good for firewood. Junk IMHO. I see Cyclops Joe shares my opinion :)

KRG...if'n you like plastic...average quality at best. Handled one again today. Over-priced yet cheaply done.

MDT Oryx only chassis I like.
Agree with all ^^^
I bought the same..AT one 24"...Could never get comfortable on it...replaced with an Oryx. I now have two Oryx-457 and 455.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify, I already own a 20" Walnut 457 Varmint MTR and a 20" Royal. I've had several 457 set-ups in chassis as well. I like wood and I'm just looking to add something different. The idea of a 24" barrel appeals to me. The AT-one stock is my only reservation. I'd like to keep this one stock if purchased .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one. From everything that I have read and working with mine, it will either need to be bedded or the front action screw shortened a little. On mine, even with the action screws torqued to 25 inch pounds I could still move the barrel side to side in the stock with not much effort.

As far as how I like shooting with the stock, I liked the idea that I could make the gun fit me and how I want to shoot it, but in practice it's just alright. It works. Before I figured out the action screw issue I got a Pro Varmint and that stock is a lot more comfortable for me. It's just a better fit for me and how I shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
As I said in an earlier thread, I bought 2 CZ 457 Varmints At-Ones and found the stock somewhat crude, bulky and uncomfortable, for me the CZ barrel/action and the At-One stock, were a bad match, I switch both to KRG Bravo chassis, but I have 4 of the Savage BVNSXP-SRs, that are in the exact same At-One stocks, but for some reason, the Savage barrel/action and the At-One. just seem to work perfectly together

·
Registered
294 Posts
As I said in an earlier thread, I bought 2 CZ 457 Varmints At-Ones and found the stock somewhat crude, bulky and uncomfortable, for me the CZ barrel/action and the At-One stock, were a bad match, I switch both to KRG Bravo chassis, but I have 4 of the Savage BVNSXP-SRs, that are in the exact same At-One stocks, but for some reason, the Savage barrel/action and the At-One. just seem to work perfectly together
We may have covered this before but i ask again. Using the correct height 11 mm dovetail scope rings with a 42-50 mm scope bell will the bare stock cheek comb height (no dodads) be sufficient? I see you need a victor company cheek riser with your 419 pic rail.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
We may have covered this before but i ask again. Using the correct height 11 mm dovetail scope rings with a 42-50 mm scope bell will the bare stock cheek comb height (no dodads) be sufficient? I see you need a victor company cheek riser with your 419 pic rail.
Mine are set up with open/iron sights, no scope

1 - 20 of 53 Posts