Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

are the BV and BTVS the same gun w/ different stocks?

534 2
I like what I've read about how the BTVS shoots, but I would want a different thumbhole stock on it. I know part of the increased cost of the BTVS is the stock, so I figure its a waste if I'm just gonna change it. Would I get the same shot quality out of the cheaper model?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I like what I've read about how the BTVS shoots, but I would want a different thumbhole stock on it. I know part of the increased cost of the BTVS is the stock, so I figure its a waste if I'm just gonna change it. Would I get the same shot quality out of the cheaper model?
The differences that I know of in addition to the stock between the BV and BTVS are:

- BTVS is stainless and BV is blued steel - I would suggest there is no functional difference, just cosmetic. Further the special model sold by Dicks with the thumbhole is blued steel
- The BTVS has a steel trigger guard and mag cover
- On the BTVS the trigger guard and mag cover are inletted into the stock rather than just screwed on top

Also the only difference between the FV and BV that I'm aware of is the stock. If you are going to dump the stock, probably best to start with the FV. Keep in mind that you will likely need to buy a trigger guard and mag cover in addition to the stock, if the stock is inletted for them.

Ron

·
Registered
243 Posts
Savage Mark II differences

I would agree with Ron AKA. If you are going to buy a heavy barrel Savage Mark II just for the action, and mount it in another stock, buy the FV.

I have all three, the FV, BV, and BTVS. All shoot about the same, but the BV and BTVS may be a bit more accurate. This is probably because of the heavier weight, and the wood stocks of the BV and BTVS.

The actions and barrels are similar, if not the same. (Except for the stainless). I do not use mine for target or benchrest, but for hunting Prairie Dogs, and all three will make consistent hits at 100 yards plus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.