Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody in my family nor friend groups owns any 22 magnums, And I'm curious if they're worth picking up. I'm looking into picking one up, but I wanted to ask around and do a little research. I'm specifically looking into picking up a Chiappa Little Badger in 22 WMR, Does any of you have any experience with one? I am also curious how an average 22 magnum performs for you guys.

·
Premium Member
10,430 Posts
Just my opinion, but the Badger is not really well thought of. Just too flimsy.
If all your doing is plinking, 22WMR is fun but really a bit expensive. For the same ppr you could shoot a centerfire round like steel case 223 or 7.62 x 39.

iIf you‘re hunting,its for mid size varmints , like raccoons. On smaller creatures it destroys to much meat.

All that being said, I have a few, and I dont hunt anymore, Like I said its fun. A little louder and a little more power.

if you want to pick one up just for fun, I suggest a trip to the local pawn shop, and finding a decent used Savage, or Marlin, bolt gun for $200 or less.

A lever gun is WMR is a hoot, but usually big money.

in a semi auto, a CZ 512 is an excellent choice. And people seem to like the Rossi which is cheaper.

But the Chiapa is a novelty gun.Cute, but imho, useless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion, but the Badger is not really well thought of. Just too flimsy.
If all your doing is plinking, 22WMR is fun but really a bit expensive. For the same ppr you could shoot a centerfire round like steel case 223 or 7.62 x 39.

iIf you‘re hunting,its for mid size varmints , like raccoons. On smaller creatures it destroys to much meat.

All that being said, I have a few, and I dont hunt anymore, Like I said its fun. A little louder and a little more power.

if you want to pick one up just for fun, I suggest a trip to the local pawn shop, and finding a decent used Savage, or Marlin, bolt gun for $200 or less.

A lever gun is WMR is a hoot, but usually big money.

in a semi auto, a CZ 512 is an excellent choice. And people seem to like the Rossi which is cheaper.

But the Chiapa is a novelty gun.Cute, but imho, useless.
Personally, the ammo price isn't a problem I have a family member who works at CCI. Which Rossi are you referencing? Do they really destroy too much meat, So only headshots with a 22 mag?

·
General Nuisance / Major Indifference
14,219 Posts
Since 1959, the Winchester Magnum Rimfire has not been replaced as the heavyweight in the .22 game. They make a 45 & 50gr bullet for it and it has benefited from advances in powder and bullet design. I second the ‘avoid the little badger’ comment and as far as head shots only… The WMR packs a bigger punch than the .22 LR and will do more damage.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
In my opinion, the .22 Magnum R.F. is way too expensive. If I needed to have more power than from a .22 LR; I'd have to go with the .22 Hornet which is reloadable while the .22 W.R.M is not. One can reload the .22 Hornet to match the .22 Magnum and to exceed it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm working a Bergara BMR in 22 mag. Have a viper HST 4-14x on it and will be using it for destructive critters and coyotes within 100 yards. The 22 Hornet lost a lot of ground for being a cheaper alternative to the 22 magnum since primers are nearly non existence along with powder and bullets so the 22 mag makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of nice 22mag out but so are junkie ones. I go with a CZ Savage, Browning or Bergara like I did.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nobody in my family nor friend groups owns any 22 magnums, And I'm curious if they're worth picking up. I'm looking into picking one up, but I wanted to ask around and do a little research. I'm specifically looking into picking up a Chiappa Little Badger in 22 WMR, Does any of you have any experience with one? I am also curious how an average 22 magnum performs for you guys.
love the .22 magnum; much more powerful than the LR, and more effective and humane on varmints like groundhogs and racoons.

They are now too expensive (ammo wise) for me to use except for hunting purposes. Ammo has doubled in cost in the 20 years I’ve been using one.

For me they are perfect for 100 to 125 yard Varmint shooting, when you really don’t need the blast of a .223.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dad has a Chiappa in 22wmr, it’s a fun little backpack rifle, he’s had no problems with his.
I personally have an old marlin 22 wmr that never gets used. I shoot my 22 Lr’s way more because the cost per round is so much better. Also my 223’s get way more use then the 22 wmr because the ammo is basically the same price as the 22 wmr.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am fond of the .22 mag. Presently I have the .22 mag in a Ruger Rimfire American. Replaced the synthetic stock with a Boyd's. Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 scope. It performs a bit better than the Marlins and Savages I have had in the past. Maybe because of the trigger? I don't hunt any more. But paper targets are in imminent danger at 100 yards! I have accepted that when I shoot what I want, I have to Pay the Piper.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Not sure about the newer rifles, but there were only two older rifles worth a hoot (accuracy wise) back when I had an interest in the 22 Magnum: the Marlin 57M and the Mossberg Chuckster.

Of course, if your interest is just in spending a lot more money, making more noise and maybe hitting your target with a few extra footpounds, then the 22WRM is your huckleberry.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
The 22wmr is intended for use as a center of critter hunting cartridge, offhand out to 75 yards.
Carries enough energy to punch the ribs and chest cavity of a 30 to 40 lb predator.
Works well in areas that limit cartridge use to rimfire.
Handy for dropping predators stalking the chicken coop.
Foxes, yotes, bobcats, raccoons, ferals that are attracted to the henhouse.
Never designed as a precision paper punching cartridge.

Examples of results off the bench at 100 yards

Armscor 40 grain jacketed hollow point Link to post

CCI A22 35 grain jacketed soft point Link to post

CCI Maxi-Mag 40 grain hollow point Link to post

CCI TNT Green 30 grain JHP Link to post

CCI V-Max 30 grain ballistic tip Link to post

Fiocchi-USA 40 grain jacketed soft point Link to post

Fiocchi-USA 40 grain total metal jacket Link to post

Norma 40 grain JHP Link to post

Winchester Varmint HE 34 grain jhp Link to post

Winchester Varmint HV 30 grain jhp Link to post

Winchester Super X 45 grain subsonic hp Link to post

·
Registered
51 Posts
A 9x19 carbine is like a fat .22wmr. I am in love with that thing. Going to try some lfc 9x19 mono underwood in it soon.
I always liked .22 mag . It just didn't have enough over the .22lr to justify it and too far under a .223. Just my thoughts and experience. I also think it is a great rimfire load and fun to shoot. Just no practical application for myself.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
IDK. I used to own several rifles in 22 mag. In my experience the 22 mag can be a good round for a very specific window of hunting applications. However at short range, they tend to damage too much meet. At ranges past 125 yds, they tend to lose accuracy and velocity fast. Downsides are that they tend to get your gun dirty fast , are overly loud , don't hold their value and are expensive to use for a "plinking" round. I sold mine off and now rely on handloaded / downloaded.223's if I want more power than a 22 lr .

·
Registered
925 Posts
My .22 mag is a Henry Goldenboy. Have taken it hunting but never shot anything with it. Mostly now i shoot it at the range, but with ammo hard to find and expensive it mostly sits in the safe. Kind of wish i had bought the Henry goldenboy in LR instead.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I probably should have tempered my comment above with the fact that I think it's a great short range woodchuck option. That's what I used mine for most - a walking around woodchuck gun. But since I don't hunt anymore, and since I became a dedicated reloader since my callous youth, I would have no need for a 22WMR now.
That said, I did own a custom Ruger single shot in 22 Mag until a few years ago. It was one of the conversions done by Korzinek in PA and had a match chamber, so it shot pretty well.;) (those are 5 shot groups)
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Line Font Art Gas

Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Measuring instrument Arthropod

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can understand the draw to the 22 magnum. If youve never fired it, you probably want know what it can really do. I'm going to find out with a new 457 I just bought. Waiting for the scope for it right now. I don't do much hunting, but I might try it. We have a banner crop of coyotes this year...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I probably should have tempered my comment above with the fact that I think it's a great short range woodchuck option. That's what I used mine for most - a walking around woodchuck gun. But since I don't hunt anymore, and since I became a dedicated reloader since my callous youth, I would have no need for a 22WMR now.
That said, I did own a custom Ruger single shot in 22 Mag until a few years ago. It was one of the conversions done by Korzinek in PA and had a match chamber, so it shot pretty well.;) (those are 5 shot groups) View attachment 311924 View attachment 311926
View attachment 311925
That’s a very nice looking rifle.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts