Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd still like to know if an exact 14" X 17" replica of the USBR target is alright to use in the RFC matches. If we are trying to support the USBR by buying targets from American Target (?!?) that's cool and groovy, but I'd just like to know. I find it more convenient to print out a few as I need them than it is to order targets even though it's actually cheaper to order them. (Heavy 14X17 paper runs $10 for 50 sheets around here!) What's the "official" word?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Official Targets . . .

When we order targets from the printer in Colorado: American Target, the USBR makes no profit on the sale. When we buy from Kolen Vance the USBR President, the USBR makes a very small profit. The cost of postage is high and there is very little room for profit. The USBR officers intentionally kept the profit margin small in order to promote the sport.

When the Vice-President: Tom Guerin was alive, and because USBR was new, Tom had to order 10,000 targets at a time and he put up his own money to do it. Tom sold so many targets, that by the time he died, American Target started to carry the target as a "stock" item.

Now we can order the targets direct from American Target in quantities of 250 or more. Kolen still sells them by the 100 and even a sample pack of 10, but at a higher price, because of the shipping.

Before we started the E-Mail Matches, I checked with three local printers and the best price quote I got was $1.00 per target in lots of 100. Because of that, and the fact that not all ink jet printers print to the same size and some laser printers print "oval" circles, we decided we better stick with the official targets.

Seems to me that at a price of between 13 and 25 cents per target, depending on how many we buy at a time and from who we buy: That the cost of the target is pretty low in comparison to the cost of the ammo we use to punch the holes.

Our club here in Sault Ste. Marie and the club in Mission, Texan have been ordering them 1000 at a time and they don't stay in the club's inventory very long. We sell them for a quarter each and the local clubs make a profit.

As for any of the National benchrest organization: They try to make ends meet by charging between $1.00 and $1.50 per target in sanctioned matches. We are not sanctioned by USBR.

Guess ya might say we are a maverick bunch. We pay nobody. All the work is done by volunteers. The volunteers contribute some hard cash to support these matches, and we even have some guys who are willing to mail targets for free to anyone interesting in trying the game. We just want more guys and gals to shoot with us, because we believe this is a good thing, and we want to keep it growing.

Bottom Line: Buy Official USBR targets. They and the E-Mail Matches are a good value.

Mr. Frosty :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Joe Haller said:
Seems to me that at a price of between 13 and 25 cents per target, depending on how many we buy at a time and from who we buy: That the cost of the target is pretty low in comparison to the cost of the ammo we use to punch the holes

Bottom Line: Buy Official USBR targets. They and the E-Mail Matches are a good value.

Mr. Frosty :)
OK, thanks "Mr Frosty" ;) I'll use my 4 bit apiece reproductions for practice and order 250 "genuines" from Amer Target for $30. Heck I can't make 'em for that anyway..... :shakehead

Thanks for the clarification....

Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.