Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Aquila .22 Super Maximum problems!

1522 16
Guess I've found out why nobody mentions Aquila Super Maximums (1750fps w/30gr.HP). After having nothing but problems with this ammo in my traded/for used 10/22 I changed everything I could think of to fix my problems...BC Match barrel, Custom trigger group, VQ bolt, & bolt buffer, after-market mags (bummer). The much anticipated first Aquila load gave the all to familiar dreaded "click". The next 8-9 rounds were either FTF or FTE, with a couple actually firing.

Bought a box of CCI Mini-mags from the range. Every round worked perfectly. Not as loud as Aquilas, but sitting on a rocking folding chair with a lousy forend support, on the 50' smallbore target, at 75', every bullet hole touched each other, with a couple slighly out of the jagged hole, all in the black.

Shooting is fun again.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I like the various Aguila loads for specific purposes, but they don't seem as accurate as the better American brands. For serious shooting, you definitely have to use better ammo. Ever tried Wolf Target? It's been getting rave reviews. For the really hot stuff, CCI Stingers seem the way to go. Even then, I get the occasional flyer.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says: I am with you = all the way.

CCI good ammo.

Those "LIZARD PEOPLE" boast of 1750 fps .

They just dont tell you " ya GOT TO FIRE 10 OF THEM TO GET IT "

BWAHAhhaaa. !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aquila Maximums problem.

When disposing of un-used Aquila Maximums out of disgust I was emptying magazines and I literally could not get most of the rounds out of rotary mag even by prying with a screwdriver. No wonder they jam.

Comparing brass sizes, side-by-side with a CCI Mini Mag, the Aquila has a longer case and shorter bullet (30 gr), for the same overall length. The longer brass somehow jams against the contours of the mag lip.

The Aquilas would be an ideal home defense load in a .22 revolver where magazine feeding is no issue. When they are fired in a rifle the louder "crack" leaves no doubt about the claimed 1750fps.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
A Word of Caution

turboman,
I think you cracked your receiver by using the Agulia Supermax in a aluminum receiver.... Look for what will appear as a scratch coming from the bottom of receiver up thru the serial number... Another one will start going upwards on the opposite side thru lower ejection port... Inspect farther, them's ain't scratches, them are cracks... [Randy @ CPC][10/22 Action Forum][http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=61719#post61719]
A word of caution regarding Aguila Supermax ammo: this ammo has been reported to cause cracks in the aluminum 10/22 receiver walls......! ! :(

Aguila Super Max, .22 LR, 30 gr., 1750* fps / 204 ft. lbs.
[* The claimed velocity is in question.... :rolleyes: ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Receiver cracking?

Thanks BigMike. No signs of cracks. I checked it with MagnaFlux die and ultra-violet light I use for aluminum race car wheels. Only fired maybe 50 rds total, not counting another 50 jams.

Everything honky doory now. If I would have learned about Aquila Super max earlier I wouldn't have needed my VQ bolt, Hornet trigger group, and recoil buffer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I like the Super Maximums in certain bolt-actions, but won't use 'em in the old semiautos. I tried 'em in my Whitney Wolverine, which shot them okay. But I got nervous due to it's older aluminum receiver. The Buckmark really likes them, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other ammo problems??

Are CCI Stingers or Velocitors a problem in 10/22's.? Don't want to go through the whole thing again. Accuracy is not a problem because almost every brand is more accurate then I can shoot under my conditions. Gives a squirrel a little better odds (if I can ever get around to going hunting).

I'm going back to the Ruger 16" sporter SS barrel & Hogue. The BC match barrel "steadies" crosshairs real nice, but it carries/handles like a pickup truck with 2000# of gravel in the bed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting thread. I have not had any feeding or ignition problems with the Aquila Super Maximum I bought from AIM Surplus. I have not been impressed by the accuracy so far though. I plan to do some more accuracy testing and chronograph some as well. When I do that, I'll try and post back on this thread with my findings.

·
34,843 Posts
turboman said:
Are CCI Stingers or Velocitors a problem in 10/22's.? Don't want to go through the whole thing again. Accuracy is not a problem because almost every brand is more accurate then I can shoot under my conditions. Gives a squirrel a little better odds (if I can ever get around to going hunting).

I'm going back to the Ruger 16" sporter SS barrel & Hogue. The BC match barrel "steadies" crosshairs real nice, but it carries/handles like a pickup truck with 2000# of gravel in the bed.
Shot many many Stinger in '76 model 1022....no problems. Well to the gun that is. There were a bunch of jackrabbits that probably would not have liked them.....had they survived the introduction :D :t

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Mmm... Interesting.

Aguila Super's are one of my fav "fun" ammo's. I'm a little surprised you had the troubles you did, Turbo. They might be a mite hot for an autoloader, though. My Buckmark likes them okay (as long as I stay clear of the lane buffers...).

They work really nice in my CZ bolt for a flatter shot at 50YD (leave your sight set up for 25YD and just lower your picture a hair). Just surprised to read of the problems, but I don't know 10/22's that well. May be just a bit hot for the action. If they're not achieving 1750fps, I'll be surprised. With a 30 grain bullet it's not that much of a stretch when you've felt them fire.

(My buddy's "plain-jane" 10/22 has no problems with Stingers and Velocitors btw.)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
rocknrace said:
I found a 500 round brick at the gun show a few months ago. Shot ok, 50 through my Rem 597, about 3-4" high at 100 yards. Wish the shooting range was longer to see how far out it would go before back to zero.
I hear that. I've been meaning to ask if I can go over to the centerfire range with my CZ and "play" with some of the Super Max's. Throw a aluminum pie plate out at the 200 YD line just to see if I can hit it. :D Poor man's .22 Mag. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a brick of the Aguila 22 supermax because my Browning Buckmark was jamming on everything except CCI Stingers which arent cheap where I buy them at. I noticed any 22 ammo with a long bullet head extending past the case mouth would jam at least once out of five shots in the buckmark. I went out to my range behind my house yesterday (July 16th) and shot a whole box of supermax with zero problems, at 20yds I was getting ragged hole 10 round groups, on two groups I got a flyer about 1/4 inch outside but my glasses were fogging and the skeeters were biting so thats my excuse and I'n sticking to it LOL . They sure have a sharp report for a 22, and slightly more recoil, as if it matters in most 22 pistols except maybe the tiny pocket models. I am impressed so far, and an wondering if my Marlin model 60 can withstand these rounds with no ill effect. I havent checked to see if it has an aluminum receiver or not as some on the forum have expressed that this ammo can crack a aluminum receiver in some guns.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Careful with those Aguila Super Maximums!

YR, I wouldn't make a habit of using them in a Marlin M60. The receiver is aluminum, but the main problem is breaking the white nylon recoil buffer inside.
I save these hot buggers for bolt-actions and my Buckmark pistol.
They turn out to be pretty good shooting ammo in my heavy-barreled target rifles.
The BSA MkII Martini likes 'em, as does the Winny 75T. Ditto with my Remmy 521-T and Norinco JW-27 (CZ/BRNO clone).
Need to try them in my little Henry levergun. That'll really increase the versatility of the Henry, as it works well with the Aguila Colibris too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.