Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do you think is appropriate for game for the 17 HMR? Yes, the question has been asked many times before. You might say goffers and squirrels to yotes. I bet most of you would say crows are probably an appropriate target. As a matter of fact I bought my rifle with crows in mind. I have a Johnny Stewart MS 512 electronic caller and thought that the 17 hmr and the caller would make great crow medicine. I have heard others having great success with a .223 or 22.250 on crows and thought that the 17 would be a perfect shorter range rifle. Something under 250 yards on a calm day with my Leica range finder, MS512 and the CZ Varmint would be a he!! of a team.

I'll be ajflkjkjfs, but after mentioning this to other hunter's in Wis. you can't shoot crows in this state with a rifle. Whaaaazzzzzzzz up with that? I can shoot squirrel in a tree with it, but I can't pull the trigger on crows in a tree? Goofy!!!!!!!! I am a responsible hunter and wouldn't shoot at a bird on the wing with a rifle, but calling them with decoys on the ground and no 17 HMR or no .22 rimfire is just plain uneducated. Have you checked your states regs?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ATAshooter

I bet you have shot a clay target or two before. Aren't shotguns grand? I love to take my GSP (German Shorthair Pointer) out and watch him run. Pheasant hunting could be better these days but the grouse keep us busy enough in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the response. I was trying to say that it is goofy not to hunt crows with a .17. It is an ideal target for the round. The range and the terminal ballistics of the 17 make the crow an ideal target species.

Even though I hunt, I have two cats (two dogs too). The feral cats do a great job of keeping the songbirds at check. They are **** efficient at hunting and many hunters find them to be in competition with hunters. I actually admire the feral cat; he is quiet, efficient and lethal. Just like I only dream of being. He hunts for a living; I hunt on a part time basis and don't bet my life on the outcome of the hunt. I know that many people feel the same way as you do.

I recently bought an old farmstead and was **** glad to see one wild red living in the barn. Helps keep the rodents down. The first time that I saw him I had my new untested 17 HMR in my hand. I don't know if I could have killed him or not, but what would be the point? This fellow and I are partners at keeping those **** mice and rats at a controllable number. I'm no tree hugger or anti hunting person, but what you might think is feral could be some little girl's pet. This is just my opinion. I feel like I should state my opinion, but I won't force it upon you.

As a kid, we let our German Shorthair run in the field next to our house. Someone was shooting a bow and shot my dog with an arrow. I am an archer today and a serious hunter and target shooter. Even though it is 20 years later, I still have one great failure in my life. I never found out who shot the dog. At 43 years old it would not be in anyone's interest for me to find out who did that over twenty years ago. I count my pets as part of my family and if someone thought that they had to kill one of my family members, they might think differently after the fact.

Even though I am a college boy, I have a red neck streak running through my bloodline that would make my ancestors from TN proud. I've lived most of my life in Wis. by the way. I absolutely have a true passion for shooting and hunting. My wife, my 14-year-old son, the 9-year-old son and the 7-year-old little girl all shoot. The 9 year old was shooting silhouette with us on the league nights. He was 7 when he started and he stood up with the rest of us but rested the forearm of his CZ Scout on the ammo/rifle pedestal and made many a ram fall over. The little girl, with daddy at her side shot her first 22 when she was 4 off of my Hart pedestal with Hoehn top and Bald Eagle bunny ears.

We all enjoy the hobby together and I also don't worry about my children finding something super special about firearms. These are tools to do a job in our home. They can look and touch any firearm in the house whenever they want as long as they ask me first and we do it together. My oldest son and I have hunted together since he was 3. He carried my Daisy wooden stocked BB gun and I yelled at him about pointing the muzzle of that BB gun so loudly that he cried. I can hunt with that 14 year old these days and be more at ease than I can hunt with some of my occasional hunting partners that think they can point a 12 gauge anywhere they want.

I'm rambling now and should end this long non-focused discussion. I guess that I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight. If I am trying to make any point at all it is that we should all be safe out there, think about the consequences of our actions and share our hobby with our family. Have a grand time behind the trigger and bring a kid with you and teach him or her the right way to handle a firearm. Clay

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got mine to hunt squirrels, crows (legal here in arkansas with rimfire), and fox with. Probably nothing bigger than grey fox. The reason I got my 17VS is because I have hunted with a 22 mag for several years, and my son was wanting one, too. I decided to let him use the 25MN and I picked up a 17VS for me. The only problem is that when he shoots it, he will want one, too.:D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Clayshooter

Starlings make a good target for the
17HMR. I wait for them to land on the ground or hop up on a bush,while feed'in
in a cow pasture.
I always make sure I have a good back stop beyond them.
Also have shot quite a few ground hogs
with it.Great for hogs close in around barns and houses.

·
Registered
678 Posts
stuff to shoot

crows are cool but ravens are grand, being about twice the size of crows and just as smart or smarter, 100 yard shots are normal. I shot two, out of the air, they float slow and effortlessly around just above the treetops...BUT, the 17 works best in this environment. got 12 coyotes and two foxes with 17hmr, badgers and porcupines, magpies too. Starlings would be a true test of accuracy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
17s

These little rifles are absolutely fun. Flat shooting little buggers with great terminal performance. It's nice to hear more people are taking yotes with these rifles.

A friend's son was walking his dog in the field across from his house. The lab spots a yote and starts to chase it. The kid just watches until the yote turned around and started chasing the lab. The kid high tails it toward the house and him and the dog arrive at the door about the same time. That wild dog chased the kid and the lab up to their front yard. My buddy tells me that his son feels a little creepy going outside these days. I volunteered my MS 512 yote machine along with the CZ Varmint behind it. By the way, I go with the rifle and he will use a shot gun. We're going to try that dog one night this coming week. Are you shooting them all in the head?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi Ho Clayshooter

In response to 'shoot coyotes in head?', the answer is, no! Head shots give an unsettled feeling, I dont know why.
all body shots, I try to tuck the pellet in two three ribs behind the shoulder, centermass. Drops them like a wet towel, instant death.
Do not shoot to the shoulder blade, this I feel is a common mistake for 'many a 17hmr sob story'. Lots of folks arnt familar with the nomenclature of the species they are after, and just expect the caliber to have nonselective destruction, (which is fine with me! I hunt with a weatherby!)
I have video'd several 17 kills as well, it drops foxes even faster!
The dogs with coyotes thing is a really good way to take the coyotes mind off the sniper. Ive never had a dog before, havent really needed one, mostly!cant say ive ever shot any (edible)birds either.Predators here take enough of a toll on them.
Let me know how the 17 vs coyote works out for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weatherby

I shoot an Ultralight in 7mm-08. The CNC machined aluminum bedding skeleton makes an extremly light weight very stiff. The flutted barrel is a beauty too. Let me guess what rifle you are shooting: just a guess but a super varmint master? I just want to know in what caliber.

·
Registered
678 Posts
nope, a 257, in an ultralight accumark, almost $2000 canadian pesos for it up here. SVM are about $2500 pesos.
I wanted a lightweight rifle that has blistering ballistics, for whitetailn,
I figger that a carry more than i shoot, therefore: weight and rapid fire are not a real issue.
One interesting note, i was shooting 5" groups @100 with it out of the box. then I took a file after it and (gasp!) free floated it and added a shim between the stock and reciever, now im consistly shooting 1 1/4" grps (best at 3/4). Have you ever herd of this b4?
Factory wby ammo is around $80 for a happy pack of twenty rounds,and the 5" groups made me a little antsy to say the least

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Accumark

When I think of the Accumark, I think of a heavy rifle not a light weight one. You own it so you know better than I do. .257 Roberts is what I first thought, now I think you are talking .257 Weatherby Mag. There is a 1 1/2" garantee and I did send mine back in, you should have too. If your work didn't "make it right" you just voided the warranty. They changed stocks on mine and she shoots fine. Nice dual purpose chambering for deer and varmints. I bet that she is a flat shooting zinger. Take care and have fun shooting.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry you can't shoot your crows properly. I have a great distaste for the bird and have a couple of Crow specific rifles...The main one right now is a 77/17.
I hate to rub salt in an open wound...but...here in The Free State of Alabama there is no closed crow season. We can shoot them year round.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for reminding me

Educator, thanks for reminding me about the proper way to shoot crows. I really thought that the proper way would be to use a .223 or 22-250. Not being able to shoot legally with a .17 HMR is just plain not right. Ricochet is non exsistant and I am in rifle country. I love to shoot birds on the wing with a shotgun, but the type of hunting that I envisioned is with a caller and lots of decoys in the fields. When they land on the ground - they would be in my territory - like I said, it's not right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.