Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Bag Filler Caution

Don't use rice, popcorn, or any food product to fill your bags if they are stored where varmints can get to them. I stored my corncob filled bags in the garage and left the door open one night, only to find that a rat had knawed a hole in one of the bags.

Benthere

· Registered
10,461 Posts
The purpose of sand is that it is heavy. Most Competition shooters use Heavy sand which is heavier than regular sand. The rear bag should be heavy so that it does not move on the bench. The rifle should recoil and slide on the bag and the bag should not move.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
recumbent said:
The purpose of sand is that it is heavy. Most Competition shooters use Heavy sand which is heavier than regular sand. The rear bag should be heavy so that it does not move on the bench. The rifle should recoil and slide on the bag and the bag should not move.
Exactly correct, I have even added a little lead shot to add some weight! The same goes for the front bag, you want the weight.

· Registered
312 Posts
Because I want a very heavy one - I used #9 lead shot. Works very well - but heaver than HE** (okay so I can not spell / haties................)

· Registered
98 Posts
Coyote said:
Because I want very heavy ones - I used #9 lead shot. Works very well - but heaver that haties................
heaver that haties??????? did I miss something???

I thought of using #9 shot to #12 shot but I thought the bag would be so hard the forend would bounce when the rifle was fired.

How full do you fill the bags when using shot?

· Registered
2,334 Posts
rice and shot

I use 1/2 #9 shot and 1/2 rice in my Caldwell bags. The shot is smaller and finer and stays at the bottom of the bag for a very heavy solid base. The rice stays up top and makes for a nice place to set your rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.