Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys hunt raccoons? Our season opens in the fall and I would like some advice on hunting them. I already know that the only legal gun to hunt raccoons with in the state of maine is a .22lr. You also have to have a flashlight for locating them. Do you guys hunt them using dogs? If so what kind? Also do you think a dog like a beagle can be trianed for them? Where do you hunt them? What kind of tactics do you use? ect... Thanks.

Todd McLaughlin

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Im getting a Blue Tick **** Hound in about 4 months....

Ill let you know then!

Dont know about beagles....I use them for rabbits!

Other popular dogs are Redbones, Walkers, Black and Tans, English Coonhounds, and Curs.....Thats about all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Young little bugger there it looks like...

This year is going to be my first year hunting them, season opens July 1st and is open limit, season ends march 31st I believe, this for california. When using shotguns, no gauge larger than 10ga, no shot larger than BB. Rimfires only, including pistols. Probably going to use my little bolt action suingle shot or my mossberg50012&20ga shotguns. Still need to pattern my rifle.
For CA the above regulations apply, in daytime, no regulation that I know of.
Matt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Todd,

Theres an artical on the Predator Xtreme website. Go to: http://www.vulcanpub.com/vm/article.asp?article_id=59429&mag_id=vm If that doesnt work just go to http://www.vulcanpub.com/vm in the site search box, type "night bandits". That should bring up an artical about racoon hunting. Hope this helps.

BTW, my local regs have no closed season, no limits on racoons and squirrels. Doesnt that suck? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Slipkid

·
Registered
317 Posts
Now that is a different kind of fun! ;D Been invited along on about a dozen hunts over the years. All in the deep woods of NH, snow on the ground, and 1 or 2 coonhounds (an absolute must). A .22 rifle or scoped pistol is all you need besides good flashlights and extra batteries.

We generally dont start out until 2 hours after dark. ***** are nocturnal. Have to wait until theyve been roving about a bit and laid a scent trail for the dog/s to find. Head down a likely old loggin road, release the dog/s, and stand around *****in about gun control & liberals and stompin feet to keep from freezing until the dog/s start bayin.

Then we hustle. Follow the noise. Lots of bushwackin. Careful crossing frozen cricks, swamps, & ponds. Eye protection also a must. No pokes in the eyes with sharp sticks or branches whipping back! 8)

Lots of other neat aspects to these hunts. Trying to keep from getting lost, woods at night, stars, wind in the big pine tops, eerie bayin of the dog/s, kicking out deer, moose, yotes etc. And if you get a smart old ****, hell lay false trails, backtrack etc. to throw you off. ???

Then you reach the dog circling a tree and think youve finally treed one. Ha! Only about one of every 5 times. Keep circling the tree, checking crotches of branches with the lights. Find him way up high. The light reflecting off the eyes is the giveaway. Draw a careful bead with the trusty old .22.

Crack. If you did it right, then down he comes like 20 lb sack of potatoes, crackling thru the branches and whump! Check if he is done for. Dont ever want to pick up a stunned one!!! If you did it wrong, get ready cause they can come down fighting mad! :eek:

Now the long walk out. Da__, we thought we knew exactly where we were. Werent you payin attention? Naw, I thought you was... Howse about buying that pocket GPS finally... :p

Boy they can be heavy, and get heavier by the minute. Besides you are walking along, trying to hold his carcass out away from you, thinking about all those fleas getting ready to jump ship for a new home as soon as his body temp starts dropping...

Now you are out. Somebody volunteers to drop off the bandit in the morning with the old gent who skins and tans the hides to get a few bucks to supplement his Soc Sec $s. Goodnight and I am going to sleep like the dead tonight. ;D

In NH, hunting ***** this way is fading fast. Probably all the way to Georgia too. It sure is sad :(

Thanks Todd for posting this question and reminding me to get on the phone and rustle up an invite for this coming winter!! Lf

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do ya guys think about hunting around water? Like lakes, ponds, and such? This one place where I plan to do overnighters while squirrel hunting is at this lake where some family friends say that the area around the lake is full of squirrel and rabbits. I plan on walking around the tree line trying to find a **** or two. Thanks for any advice given!
Matt.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a tape of baby *****. Dont know if I still have it. ::) But the name of it was **** puppies. It was young ***** screaming. When i bought this I had watched several videos where theys people had used them and put them in the same tree :eek: :eek: Yea the **** comes right in the same tree. There is one guy standing in back of a pickup and the **** climbs up on his bumper before he knocks it in the head.

Now i was thinking go to a lake back in the woods that no one lives on throw the canoe in and start along the edge just take a tape player and play the tape and paddle along. That tape even on real low will just echo off the lake and there would be ***** everywhere on the shore. ;) But have to buy some bug dope and try that next week.

Dean_31

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Got a NorthWest Illinois **** Club Meeting tonight in Elizabeth, Illinois.....Hunt afterwards....

I dont know if Ill go on the hunt, though.....Too many darn leaves on the trees to see *****!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.