Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 17vs last week and I also bought a boresnake (.17 cal) and I ran it through before I shot the rifle and I could not pull the thing through. With the muzzle pointed downward I had to stand on the boresnake with my boot and pull the rifle up to get this thing through the bore. I did this again after about 10 shots and the same thing. The third time I attempted it the boresnake broke (the small part in between the brass weight and the big part of the snake). What gives? Has anyone else had this much trouble with the snake?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use one for my Magnum. They are hard to pull through. Heres what I have always done. I run the line through and out the end of the barrel. I then take a flashlight and start rolling the snake around it until it is snug at the end of the barrel. You are then pulling on the "meatier" part of the snake and not the thin part by the brass. It's not too hard to pull through this way and I don't think you will ever break one this way. I love them!!! I will be getting one for my .17.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I use a bore snake only for my 17, but I took out all its teeth. ( the brushes ) there has been a number of threads here on micro scratches that a brush can make. (I've seen the same thoughts elseware) so I've just never used them.

It's still hard to pull thru though, but like Gander said feed the thin line all the way thru and wrap it around something, seems to always someting in the range bag, I think this helps to even out the pressure as its applied to the snake as well as your hands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Patch Worm works....

I have used the Patch Worm (looks like a 3 foot length of string trimmer line with a little button on the end) with great success. It works just fine with Midway .22 patches, is nice & tight without getting stuck, and gets the fouling out. More good news: it's cheap, about five bucks from 20/20 Concepts. I'm gonna buy one for the larger calibers.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Volquartsen recommends *not* using brushes in their barrels, patches only. I figured they should know, so I would pull the teeth out as well if you want to use a Boresnake.

I use the Patch Worm with mine, but I love Boresnakes in general. Have them in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, .270, and .22. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just received my boresnake in the mail.

Quickest easiest way to clean about any rifle or pistol.

I wrap the pull through string around a piece of wood that is about 1 X 1 X 6. It takes some effort to get the thing through but that is why it cleans so well.

I am no barrel expert but a button rifled barrel has to be tougher than those statutory bristles on a boresnake. I have read where it is unwise to use a steel brush on a precision barrel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just open up the braids on the boresnake and pull on the threads until you pull the brush out of the snake. Kind of like opening a candy bar and pulling the wrapper off of it. The brush looks like a standard brush that you use with a regular cleaning rod minus the threaded part. My snake is a lot easier to pull now that the brush is gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use of Bore snakes:
Hey Folks,
This is my first post to this fine site. So, naturally I don't wish to get hair in any one's biscuts..BUT,
I have several "Bore Snakes"and I use all them all the time. From 17 to 30 cal. I have had nothing but GOOD results with them all. Sure they are HARD to pull thru but what does a good patch feel like when you push it thru a barrel? Tight I bet or else it wouldn't clean Eh?
Someone said the cord broke on his .17 "snake", another suggested he shorten the pull by wrapping the cord around something as he pulled. Great advise. I do the same. And as for the brass bristles scratching the Barrell, well, I gotta tell ya, hat part I don't understand. It has been a long time since I was in Chemestry class in HS but I seem to recall that brass was SOFTER than steel therefore how do it scratch? AND, if it does, it has to be superficial as we send a XX grain bullet ..hauling tail down the barrell at XXXXX velocity with a heat mass with it of untold temperature.......Is this not the Fly Manure outa the pepper syndrome? Sorry I just don't get it.
Sorry also If I have offended ANYONE! Such was not my intent! It's like they say about OPINIONS and REAR ENDS, we all got one!!
Good Luck and Good hunting... God Bless us all!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't think that a bore snake would harm your barrel. I have used one on my Sako Finnfire several times and and it shoots as well as ever. I also have a .17 bore snake but havn't used it yet. The problem I have with the bore snake is it just doesn't clean the bore as well a good rod, patches and an occasional brushing. If you don't believe it, run a patch through your bore after using a bore snake. To me the bore snake is a quick fix when you don't have time to give your bore a good cleaning. When using the snake I like to add a little solvent to the forward ( brush end ) and a little oil about halfway back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nevernuffstuff
You are way too apologetic to be offensive...... thanks for the advise. I had the same problem as onestar with the boresnake on my .17 rimfire. I am not positive that it was actually designed for a 17. They might have labeled a 22 boresnake 17 and sold it that way. I havent tried to use my boresnake in my 17 since the 1st time. A softer substance can erode a harder one though.........think of water carving canals through rock. a brass bristled brush could probably eat through anything.......given enough time. Sort of like my wife........ she had way stronger willpower than I had smooth lines..... but after several months I finally wore her down...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.