Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anybody Spring Turkey Hunt ?

1429 36
 Well guys if you are a spring turkey hunter,it about that time.
 We will have to pick up one of
those other guns in the safe and head for the woods.
 Any more turkey hunters out there.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am going turkey hunting the last week in April.  I am going with one of my friends to the Chippewa Falls area in Wisconsin.  We went last year and didnt even see any.  A few called back, but we counted 17 different gobblers across the river on an inaccessible island.  This year were bringing a boat!!!  Lots of ticks over there.

Good Luck

·
Registered
765 Posts
Im getting geared up for the spring turkey season in Kentucky. The season starts April 15 and Im still rushing around spending all kinds of money on a few new calls, camo clothes, and a new turkey vest. Ive got to shoot my trusty Mossberg 835 a couple of times before season starts just to make sure it patterns like it always has, and then Ill be ready for opening morning. Hopefully, this season will be as good as last season, I got my 2 bird limit last year, and maybe I wont get caught in a thunder storm about 2 miles from the truck this time. ;D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mossberg 835s!!!

SS,

Arent the 835s awesome!

Ive had my Mossberg for about 8 years now and Ive never had a problem with it! Definitely my most trustworthy shotgun. And, I love those Federal 3.5" shells! Just dont target shoot too many of em, or your shoulder will tell you for days about that mistake!

I love mine! And, here in Illinois, we have to use shotguns for deer too.....So, I put my trusty rifled barrel on it and out I go!

It has been my only gun for rabbits (besides the .22LR and .22 Magnum), pheasants, and deer for the past 8 years. Awesome guns!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Viper, I certainly like my Mossberg 835.......

IMO, the Mossberg 835 is the best turkey gun around. Ive owned my current Mossberg 835 for a bit over 3 years and I owned a couple more before this one and Ive never had any problems at all with them. I wish I still had the two others that I had before this one, but you know how that goes, I get to wanting some other type of firearm and Ill trade whatever I can to get it. Ive tried quite a few different chokes and ammo in my 835 and the best results have come from a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670" choke and Federal Premium 3.5" shells in #6 shot. This is not the high velocity ammo, this is the regular ones with a full 2.25 ounces of shot. I have to agree with you about the 3.5" shells too, the recoil isnt that bad if you dont shoot too many of them, but just be sure that you use a bit lighter load when just playing around with targets. Once I made the mistake of deciding to try out different ammo (all 3.5" BTW) and choke combinations in my 835 as well as my buddys 835 on the same day. ::) Well, it wasnt too bad at the time, but the next day I had a bruise in the shape of the butt pad. :( Ill remember to just try one gun a day next time. ;D

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says : NOW ifen ya want a real shotgun . get
 yerself a Beretta semi auto or a Benelli semiauto
 PREF. The Benelli if $$ are plentiful.
You dont need no whopper 3-1/2" magnum ammo
to smoke old Tom.  2-3/4 #4s are just fine.
Beretta and Benellis will hold their value better than the others too.
FOR ALL YOU REMINGTON 1100 shooters - heres a tip.
 If yer buddy heckles you cause he has a 3" 1100 gun
and you only have one chambered for 2-3/4"
just LAUGH . take 3 of his 3" magnums, chuckem in
yer 2-3/4" chambered gun.  and rip-off 3 shots.
Walla - you got a 3" gun and didnt know it.
BEEN DION IT FER YEARS. GUARANTEED TO WORK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup here in Missouri season starts in roughly 20 days 19 hrs 39 min and 17 sec. Cant wait.  ;D Hopefully will do a little better than last year although I wont complain if it ends the same. Im going to take my trusty old Beretta to the range one of these days and make sure she still patterns good, then its off to the woods to make sure my turkeys are still there.

Hope you guys have fun and be safe!

Adam

·
Registered
467 Posts
Chief,

Handled the Benelli Semi-autos....Very nice!

Im a pump gun kinda man though......

Love my Mossberg 835...

Ive got a Mossberg 9200 also (traded my brother a K10/22T for it). Its an awesome semi-auto!

And, 1/3 the price of a Benelli.....

Now, the Benelli Nova Pumps.....Now were talking!
Ive never had a gun "come up" like the 12 ga. that I was checking out....

And for around $350, how can you beat it?!

Benelli - Performance worth the price!

Of course, if the guy in the Rockford, IL gun shop hadnt kept knocking and dissing Mossbergs (my faves), I wouldve probably bought that Benelli Nova in black...Im sure Ill get one soon.....Just not from him!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
:D
God, I like VA.
Still get to us the rifles.

Got the Remington 870 Sighted in too.  Got it a cant. mount for the vent rib and a red dot . That with the Vent. Choke tube and the 3" Win. Supreme #5s Makes close work easy.
They hang up and I get to play with the Ruger 22MAG.
8)
I get to the last tag and get to use the Pistol.
Man life is good.
;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Half way through the season here.  I dont get to do much turkey hunting anymore.  (I have to be at work at 5:00am.)  Its been a good year so far.  Several nice birds shot locally.  More fun than deer hunting.  Good meat.  Make fool out of the best!  

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Chief,

Youre right about the 2 3/4" 1100.  Still only one word for scatter gun.  Mod. 12.  Shoot sweet, fast, and a long long time!  

I dont understand the desire for the fiber optic sights and 3 1/2 mags for gobble birds.  Theyll make a fool out of a cannon and grapeshot!  It aint the fire power, its the skill!!!  One shot well placed is all that is needed.  Lots of people use 20 ga. down here.  Even ole Ben Lee knows it dosent take a gattlin gun to get a trukey.  Good to be here again!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well, while swapping a worn 1100 for a KMK512 yesterday I got to shoot a Mos. 835 in 3 1/2 with Fiber Optic sites.  I dont like the sites.  The pump gun shot fine.  The recoil is just as stated above. not too bad, just wouldnt want to spend a day at the traps with it.  Good tight pattern of No. 6s.  The barrel is ported about 1/2 way up.  That sucker is LOUD.  By all means use muffs when shooting one of these.  It had a report more like a 30/06 than a shotgun.  Couldnt tell what it would sound like from  a distance, but dont want to be close any more.

I can understand the rave reviews of this particular gun.  It shoots just like a pump gun should.  Deep in a swamp at dusk, I can even see fiber optics.  Still wouldnt want em on my gun.  

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
 Pic:
 Those 3 1/2" have a way of
getting your attention dont
they. He He
Our Va. season starts Sat.
calling for rain though.
What ever Ill be there.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I must say that the 835s are awesome!

Ive shot them with and without the ported barrel.  I couldnt tell much of a difference in the kick of the gun, just in the muzzle lift.....

3.5" shells dont kick too much.....Unless you are shooting at a target.  If youre shooting at a rabbit or a pheasant with it, you cant even tell.

Awesome guns, those 835s!!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Guys:
 Anybody tried the new
Remington Heavy Shot?
 I here it patterns good,
with good range.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Plinker.....

How did ya do yesterday on the VA Turkeys?

I struck out. My partner froze out. The weather went from 75 to 40 overnight and rained all morning, not to mention the fog and wind. We called it quits at 10:30.
Had two come in but hung up out of range and in the brush. Sounded like they got to the hens before we got to them.
Got a week vacation coming up to go after em.
Plan on spending a week up in the mountains.

The Hevi-Shot stuff is reported good. Just remeber that you have to use a STEEL shot tube to shoot the stuff.
Remington and the Hevi-Shot guys dont recomend otherwise. They told me it would ping the tube out of the gun. :-[

I think I will stick with the Winchester Supremes.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
 em:
 Temp in mid 50s sat. in
ole VA. but them birds didnt
want to get movin.Sat in the
trees forever it seemed like.
Then flew down went the other
way. I had to go to work so left
woods about 8:00.
 Plenty of time to work on them
later.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good Luck,

A friend of mine had two hens and a tom right up in her yard.  Yesterday and this morning.  Now dont forget here I live in Central Minnesota.  As far as I can see they decided they wanted off of someones farm and they are making the move or something.

Is it legal to use a rifle?  And even if its not, what would you guys use?  I think a 22lr. would be to weak unless it was head shot.  what about a mag or a .223 with fmj?  
Dean_311  

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
 Dean:
 Rifles are legal in VA.but the
shotgun is the way to hunt turkey.I use a well worn 870 REM
with Fed copper plated 6s.
Calling them into shotgun range
is something that will get the
old heart thumping.
The 22LR would kill one,if you
head shot it or hit a vitial organ,but should be nobodys
choice for turkey.
 The larger calibers like
.223 with FMJs or larger cals
with down loaded lead bullets
would work.
But as I said before the shotgun
is the way to go.
Dont you have Merriams in
Minn?

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.