Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done any comparisons of group sizes shot from a std. Ruger factory barrel vs. an aftermarket bull barrel? I have not, but it seems like the factory barrel should do a decent job. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dan

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
dankgus,

Yes, Star444 did a comparison of a out-of-the-box standard 10/22 carbine a few years ago....! ! :)

However, his Site is no longer available...! ! :(

The match chambered [Bentz] barrels will out shoot the carbine barrel by a wide margin...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tested my carbine barrel about all I could stand....then bought the Hogue/Clerke combo :) Just frustrated me to no end. Judging from the number of those here that have done the same upgrade I'd say there IS a slight chance they have experienced the same thing LOL!!

Perferator

·
Registered
400 Posts
Stock (standard) Barrel

I tested mine pretty thoroughly when I first bought it, looking for ammo it really liked. Several brands shot just over an inch at 50 yds. I never found anything that could break the 1" barrier, not even the $7.00/box stuff (boy it gripes me to lay out that kind of money for .22 LR ammo!). Some brands were downright embarrassing. Stingers looked like a shotgun pattern; 2.5 - 3 inch groups were common. Then I started to make modifications, but nothing really helped much until I put the the A & B/Hogue combo on. Since then, its been a tack driver! I suspect your results will be pretty similar, but the process is fun anyway. Maybe you got that one-in-a-thousand that will really shoot out of the box. You never know until you put rounds downrange. Happy Shooting.:)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
dankgus,

From my experience the factory carbine barrel will do OK out to 25 yards, much beyond that and accuracy falls off rapidly. I shoot under 1/2 inch at 50 yards with my GM barrel without problem, some groups even drop under 1/4 inch at 50. This is using inexpensive ammo (Winchester T-22 or Federal 711B) that many consider low grade. Hope that helps answer your question.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
312 Posts
50 yard groups were bigger than my fist. Could only hit golf balls at that distance one out of two shots. Bull barrel from Boyd's and it is under an inch at 50 yards with the super cheap bulk pack fodder and a rolled up blanket for a rest. These are 10 shot groups, I don't consider three shots a "group"

·
Registered
70 Posts
factory barrel

Have the bull hammer forged stainless factory barrel. Using cheap CCI Blazers and Win HV I easily shoot .7 inch groups at 5o yds. This is using a very poor rest and a cheapo $35 scope. Have shot group of 4 at .4 inch. The worst group I've shot is about 1.2 inch using Federal Medalist. Don't necessarilly assume the factory barrels won't shot. I believe if I improve the benchrest, get a trigger job, this factory gun will routinely group sub .5 inch.
Bill

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Good luck.

.5 @ 50 yards would be MOA and that is way better than most factory 10/22 barrels will do.

There is always a lucky exception, but you won't find one every day....

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is almost stock, bedded factory barrel in hogue syn stock w/VQ hammer, and I shoot <2" at 100. My buddy shoots my gun <1.5". Including scope (22 mag), I have way less than $300, and a few hours in mine. He shoots his sub MOA at 100, but has over $1000 in his, incl Leupold scope, GM bull, fagen laminate, trigger job etc,. My brother-in-law has an old ratty, rusty Marlin, a handmedown weaver scope I gave him, and gets more squirrles than either of us, even though he can't hang with us on the bench. :D Go figure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
factory barrel

The reason I bought my 10/22T Stainless was because at an indoor 50 yd range I watched a very inexperienced guy shooting tack driving accuracy with his factory 10/22T. His groups were much tighter than mine while I was shooting my respectable but non target model Browning Buckmark rifle. Bought the Ruger and I too was easily shooting sub one inch groups. Crappy rest and cheapo scope. The factory trigger is way too heavy. Thats why I'm sure improving any of these factors will get me closer to rountine .5 inch groups. By the way my Browning sport model shoots consistant 1.5 inch groups at 50...Not too shabby for a very small lightweight carbine.
It's fun always trying to improve on what one has.
Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a factory original 10/22 that was made in 1969. The trigger was great and I could shoot 3/4" groups all day with that factory barrel. There is no comparison between the older 10/22's and the ones being sold today. You would think that over time a product would improve not digress. Good Shooting, AL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.