Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anybody ever shortened an inner mag tube for a Mossy?

385 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ajole
I have been looking for an inner tube for a 46B and have only found the longer 20LR capacity tube. Anybody ever cut one down?

Do tubes from any others fit, 330, 400, 432 ??

If you have cut one, how did you do it?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I've never shortened one, but I did have to re-solder one after it came apart. It may be that simple, heat it to loosen the solder, cut it, reassemble it then re-solder. I think one of mine has the shorter tube. I could measure it for you so you could have some exact measurements.

· Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never shortened one, but I did have to re-solder one after it came apart. It may be that simple, heat it to loosen the solder, cut it, reassemble it then re-solder. I think one of mine has the shorter tube. I could measure it for you so you could have some exact measurements.
:confused: Where are they soldered? I didn't see any evidence of solder. Only the pin at the knurled end seems to be holding it on. Is it soldered there?

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Crud! For some reason unbeknownst to me I was thinking "outside". Please forgive my uhhhh... ummmmm... short attention span.:bonk:

I just fixed the outer tube on one of mine, and somehow that stuck in my pea brain.

p_jackson (Pete) fairly recently picked up one of the aftermarket tubes. You might PM him. Maybe there will something similar in the work necessary to make it fit.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Remove the pin, the knob will come out. Use a tubbing cutter to shorten the tube.
Drill a new hole for the pin. To do this, measure the knob to the center of the pin hole.
You will need to shorten the spring also. Make sure it has some tension when it is empty so it stays in the rifle. You don't want the tube to be too short. If you have the old tube, use it as a template to make the new one. Brownells did sell new tubes at one time.

8,427 Posts
What he said!!!

Remove the pin, the knob will come out. Use a tubbing cutter to shorten the tube.
Drill a new hole for the pin. To do this, measure the knob to the center of the pin hole.
You will need to shorten the spring also. Make sure it has some tension when it is empty so it stays in the rifle. You don't want the tube to be too short. If you have the old tube, use it as a template to make the new one. Brownells did sell new tubes at one time.
What he said!!! A little additional info. The tubing cutter is best as it will produce a nice square cut, BUT... It does have a characteristic of displacing some of the metal into the tube. This small ring of metal is best removed with a half-round needle file or a small paring knife. Just don't slip and slice yourself accidentally!!!:eek::rolleyes: You can probably guess why I warn of that potential hazard!!!:eek:
And yes Brownells still sells replacement inner mag tubes!!!
God Bless, Frank.

· Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I have never done a Mossberg. Not being a great fan of tube fed rifles, I did do a Remington 582 and a Winchester Model 72. Fairly easy job. Here are a couple of pictures of the Winchester 72. Good luck with yours. Bob

· Registered
9,156 Posts
What he said!!! A little additional info. The tubing cutter is best as it will produce a nice square cut, BUT... It does have a characteristic of displacing some of the metal into the tube. This small ring of metal is best removed with a half-round needle file or a small paring knife. Just don't slip and slice yourself accidentally!!!:eek::rolleyes: You can probably guess why I warn of that potential hazard!!!:eek:
And yes Brownells still sells replacement inner mag tubes!!!
God Bless, Frank.
If your a reloader you could use your case deburing tool to remove the displaced metal.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
I have been looking for an inner tube for a 46B and have only found the longer 20LR capacity tube. Anybody ever cut one down?

Do tubes from any others fit, 330, 400, 432 ??

If you have cut one, how did you do it?
I've got the remnants of a Brownell's #2 tube kit. I got it because the tube on my 46B(b) was a couple of rounds too short. If you give me the length of where the tube needs to finish, if it's long enough, you can have it.
I second everyone's instruction on how to shorten it. Always best if you can use what you have.
Pete

· Registered
10,857 Posts
Seat the knob back in the tube to mark your drilling new holes ,better than measuring ,perfect match , if yiu good you can drill a slightly undersized hole with the knob in place . Then enlarge to a tight fit for the pin.~~JMJ~~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.