Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Revival Industries thumbhole stock in coffee brown that is finished, but I am getting bored with it's look and want to paint to gloss black. You guys have any prep advice I need to do if I wanna use a spray can to paint over it gloss black. Should I first sand,and then spray some primer, and spray with black spray paint and clearcoat? I am wanting to keep this project not too involved or complicated but want good results,so therefore just wanna stick with a rattle-can process. Any suggestions on brand or type....Duplicolor or Krylon? And should I go with some engine paint or regular paint? Thanks for any help. Here's the rifle as of now....just wanna change it up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry,I don't have any real tips for you on paint. I know Krylon isn't the best choice. ... Gloss Black (and making it look nice) is probably one of the hardest colors to do. From what I do know...

If that stock has an oil finish, I'm not sure what you can do paint wise, but you'll probably need to take it down past the finish and seal it... If it's some kind of poly you can go two directions....

1) Course sandpaper until you get to bare wood. fine grade sandpapers until you're ready to apply a Sanding Sealer. Then use a tack-cloth to get rid of all the dust particles, then use a sanding sealer. Let dry. Sand with fine, or use 000 steel wool until smooth. Primer coat it lightly. The first coat or two you might not completely cover the stock. Keep applying until you've got a uniform coat. Let dry. Apply paint until it is uniform. Wetsand with 400 to get any runs or high spots. Let dry. Apply several layers of clear coat letting dry after each one. Wetsand with 400. Let dry. Use a buffing compound, buff out the finish.

1) If you're happy with the smoothness of the stock and finish, just use a 3M Scouring Pad to scuff up the existing finish and do as above starting with a base coat instead of doing the sanding and sealing....

At least that's what I know about painting, in theory. lol.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
An alternative

I have been playing around with Woodburst oil-based stains. I bought some scrap laminate stocks from Boyd and have been doing some practice staining. I really like the outcome. The stain is really easy to apply and easy to get a nice even color. It's tung oil based, so you can put an oil finish on top of it.

Woodburst

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gsonnenmd said:
I have been playing around with Woodburst oil-based stains. I bought some scrap laminate stocks from Boyd and have been doing some practice staining. I really like the outcome. The stain is really easy to apply and easy to get a nice even color. It's tung oil based, so you can put an oil finish on top of it.

Woodburst
If I am trying to achieve the color in Tuck's picture below, do you have any suggestions as to what unfinished laminate color stock I should get and what Woodburst stain I should get? I really love this deep red color for the next project. I've read that the black pepper laminate is a good color to start with, but not sure what color stain to get as they have so many choices on that website. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
First: Tuck is WAY more experienced at stock finishing than I am. Perhaps he will chime in as well.

I bought two Woodburst colors: Permanent Red & Bing Cherry. I'm applying them to a brown laminate. I've got two coats on and dried. The Permanent Red is almost pink so far. The Bing Cherry has a more violet tint to it.

You should get some scraps (call Boyds, they sell scrap/defective stocks cheap). I wanted to know what these colors were going to look like before I apply them to a nice stock (I just sent Claude Gatewood a check for one of his off-hand stocks which I plan on staining.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.