Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Oh I'm Gonna LOVE this forum! Got one of these too!

Mine was sold to me as a 'Trainer' and while the metal isn't US property marked, the stock is = government ordinance stamps on the left side of the cheekpiece and a "P" stamped on the pistol grip. For a pic of a very similar Model 75 rifle now up for bids on Auction Arms, check out item# 3328325:D
The unusual thing is the sights on this model - apparently these were the original Winchester sights Mine has these too, but apparently most were issued with Lyman target sights.
This is one of the Winchester .22's where the sporters are worth more to collectors than the target rifles.
Mine needs higher front sights, Lyman 17A's, accurate, but with the present front sights, I can't depress the rear sights enough to shoot under 50yds accurately.
One other bit of trivia, I found an aftermarket 10 round mag that functions as well as the original 5 rounders:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine's got the old Winchester sights too but it doesn't have any U.S. Property marks on it. Usually I just shoot 100 yds with it and it does very well at that range when I do my part and there's not much wind. I bought it to help me with my service rifle shooting and for that I needed something with aperture sights. Actually I was looking for a Remington 513 Matchmaster when I found it. The only problem with the Wincheser sights is that it's hard to find inserts for the front sight. I've got the one I want so that's not a problem for me. The only problem I've had is that the magazine that it came with didn't work. I found a Winchester made replacement that someone on another forum had and bought it.
JS

·
Registered
217 Posts
Winchester 75

I have one too. Not military and without sights. Shooting with a scope but would like to find a set of sights original or otherwise that will work.. Any suggestions appreciated. Also , what is the source for the 10 shot magazine?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine

Is the target rifle with the long heavy barrel. It came with two sets of rear micrometer sight, a Redfield and I believe a Lyman and it had a front globe sight but is missing the insert locking ring.
This rifle also has scope blocks on the barrel so I mounted a Redfield 3200 24x scope on it, looks great with that 24" long scope and long heavy barrel and the wide fore end stock!

But, I haven't checked which it is, but the accuracy is not up to snuff (can't shoot higher than 225 in BR50--this gun should be shooting at least 240), I'm suspecting the old Redfield but since it is hard to mount another scope on this rifle without it being a long type, I haven't investigated further.

oklahomaman.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 75 Target with a Redfield 75 sight ( Win 75 Targets came with many different sights). I put a Redfield 2400 16X on it, but I may replace that with a 20X.

Most of the military 75s were not marked on the metal, only on the stock.

I also recently got a 75 Sporter.....it's sweet! It has a Lyman 57 rear sight.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Win 75

Fine rifles. I have a 1941 military one with blade front sights and Lyman rear. When I get home I have a little survey I'd like to email you to get some data on 75's from that era. None in the survey to date have been US PROPERTY marked on the metal even though clearly had a military heritage and DCM heritage. Yours may pre-date the WW2 military contract so it may shed some light.

Need information on:
Serial number
blued or parkerized
wood finish (oiled or shiney)
cartouches on wood
any property stamps on metal?
rear sight mfg
front sight type and mfg

thanks for the input.
reddogge

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep, I have an original, one owner, me!!

I have the original front sight, not Lyman, with five aperatures and this Olympic front with fifteen aperature inserts, two original five shots clips, two five and two singles (to replace clips for target use). It has the original sling, excelent bore and very good wood. It gets used often at 50 and 100 yards and shoots very good groups. It is kept cleaned, oiled and waxed with T.L.C.
No I would'nt sell it for a grand!!

Enjoy your 75s, make them better with care and attention. Use them and enjoy the history!!
Send us your pictures Plz.
Pete k.

·
Registered
233 Posts
An another 75T Fan

I have only owned my 75T for about a month. I came across mine at a gun show. I bought it because of the price, quality, reputation, and the peep sights. I believe mine was made (serial number) in 1950, but it has 54 stamping. Don't know if that means anything ? I have been hunting for other interested 75 owners. Congradulations on finding a great rifle. I've been watching GunAmerica Gun Classifieds, not too many show up.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is my 75T. It came with a Lyman 5A 8X scope, three 10 round and one 5 round Winchester mags., Redfield 75T rear peep, Redfield 63 front, sling and the original boxes for the sights marked $10.75 and $5.75. I got it for $300.00 at an estate sale. The bore is pristine. I think it was worth it. ;) It is a 1938, first year production rifle, serial#100x

·
Registered
208 Posts
Winchester 75 rear sights

I know these came with multiple rear sights, The one I have attaches to a block on the side of the receiver with a round pin (about 5/16 inch) which slides in and a tapered screw threads in from the top. Is this an original whichester rear sight or one of the other manufactuers?

Thanks,

·
Registered
364 Posts
Stilly said:
I have only owned my 75T for about a month. I came across mine at a gun show. I bought it because of the price, quality, reputation, and the peep sights. I believe mine was made (serial number) in 1950, but it has 54 stamping. Don't know if that means anything ? I have been hunting for other interested 75 owners. Congradulations on finding a great rifle. I've been watching GunAmerica Gun Classifieds, not too many show up.
Stilly, Remove the bolt and look on the side for an engraved date of manufacture. My bolt has 8/20/55 on it. If you have not removed the bolt, all you do is to hold back on the trigger and slide the bolt back and out. Hold the trigger to replace the bolt.
Pete K.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 75T has a four digit serial number that was manufactured in 1939. Not U.S. Property marked but that does not bother me. It shoots great and is a fine rifle.

I work at a local gun store and we just got one in on trade with a 28XXX serial number. I am thinking about buying it also.

David.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've a M75 sporter. It was bought online and had been drilled for a side mount. I put a Weaver side mount back on it and mounted a telescope. have not shot it much yet but it is a really nice piece. I've had a dozen 69A's and a couple of 52's and I think the 75 is just great...

·
Registered
604 Posts
i own four m75t's rifles and consider them to be my favorite middleweight target rifles. i have one martial version and 3 civilian versions. they date from 1942 to 1958.

they don't really shoot any better than my remington 513t's, but the care and workmanship that went into the winchester products was outstanding!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll add mine to the list.

I found a Win 75 at a local gunshop back in March. According to the serial number mine was made in 1948. The stock is a bit worn, but it's in overall good shape. Along the way, someone tried to drill and tap the barrel for a front sight ramp, with the screw holes straddling the front dovetail. By mounting a Redfield dovetail mount and target aperture front sight, I've hidden the bubba damage. I also found the Redfied "HW" mount for a Redfield 75 sight. My configuration looks much like Wundudknee's 75. It's a great shooter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.