Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
38super has a Hogue that he uses. It looks like it would work pretty well. It is kind of a speed draw, USPSA, style rig. He has a pic of it posted in the galleries.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Whoa Tree,

This pic in the gallery is a proto, not a Hogue. It has been machined from black nylon specifically for a 22/45 and will not fit any other pistol frame, yes it is a speed holster for rimfire steel challenge or IPSC.

Hogue does make a 'Univeral' speed holster that is quite good. Little expensive compared to an Uncle Mike's or most Kydex holsters, but will work left / right side and pistol / revolver. It is the most remarkably adaptable holster I've ever seen, and the most positive retention of any comparable or higher price 'Speed' holster.

Since I can make holsters (it's still a struggle), I've given my old Hogue to a new shooter (used it for a year) so he can shoot Aerospace Steel Challenge.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No Sweat Tree,

Didn't want people going to the Hogue site, wondering why their holster didn't look the same.

If you're wondering, the proto is fully machined from cast nylon stock. Takes about 3 evenings to finish one. Two areas that take time are the escapement (kinda like a pivoting door latch) and the holster body. The belt attachment is an hour, max.

Hogue is a very good holster, I shoot speed events. Steel challenge is a holster draw intensive sport. For me, the Hogue was a little slower (0.15 sec longer to first shot). Anal, huh. Just make it up with the trigger finger. :D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well if you guys are getting froggy about holsters, find a plastic supply house and purchase some Kydex or similar thermoform plastic. A good heat gun will form the plastic to your pistol. Wear leather gloves, and keep a bowl of water near by to help set the plastic to your desired shape. A light pinch at the forward part of the trigger guard provides a suprising amount of retention, too much and the pistol won't come out. Aerosol Silicone is a good lube for speed shooting, keep it off the grips tho.

I've gotten holster ideas from Safariland, Bianchi, Ernie Hill, Hogue, LimCat, CR Rescomp and others. Good Luck, enjoy the build.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.