Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any model 18 owners here?

5460 28
I'm looking into a model 18 S&W and wonder if any of you who have one would give me your opinions on the 18 vs the 17 or the older K22. Thanks.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
S&W Model 18

Thirties,

I have a pre Model 18 ".22 Combat Masterpiece" revolver, made in ~ 1954; it is a 5 screw with a pinned 4" barrel......! ! :t

It is a great gun, and my 'carry piece' whenever I go afield....! ! :)

I think it is one of S&W's finest revolvers, along with "The .357 Magnum" and "The .44 Magnum" revolvers......! ! :cool:

As you know, the M18 is a 'carry' version of the K-22 'target' revolver, with a 4" barrel and ramped combat style front sight.

The lockwork on these older S&W's rivals the "Custom Shop" guns of today....! ! :eek:

Many believe that S&W's quality reached a peak in the early 50's.

If your intended use is primarily target shooting, go for the "K-22 Masterpiece" [M17] with a 6" or 8 3/8" barrel; if carry and hunting is your game, go for the ".22 Combat Masterpiece" [M18] with its 4" barrel. The difference is balance and a shorter sighting radius.

The only other revolver that even comes close is the Colt ".22 Diamondback", which is very hard to find....! !

Hope this helps.....! ! :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, this gun would be for plinking in the woods which is why I'm looking at the 18 with its 4" barrel rather than the 17 or K22. The one I'm thinking of is an 18-4 from the early '80s. It has a frame mounted firing pin rather than the pin on the hammer (don't know how the older .22s were configured).

I was wondering if this later model 18 is not as good as the earlier K frame .22s.

I own a nice m10-5 ('70) and a 15-2 ('63) so I'm very familiar with the quality of Smith revolvers (in .38spl). I love these two guns.

I also have this Colt Police Positive Special from 1922 which is in beautiful shape but I'm afraid to shoot her too much, and, frankly, I MUCH prefer the two Smiths mentioned above as my .38specials.

I can trade my Colt for this .22 caliber model 18-4 Smith pretty much straight even. That seems like a high price to pay for a .22 plinker, but I'd be getting rid of a true safe queen in favor of a really nice .22 revolver which would be a good match for my other two S&Wessons. The 18 would be a gun I use a lot around here.

Am I crazy? Asking price on the 18-4 is $375 and she's in 98% condition. I paid $300 for the Colt PPS .38splwhich is in 95% condition.

Whadja think, Mike?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Thirties,

I think the trade is 'favoring' the dealer by quite a bit: :(

S&W M18 .22 Combat Masterpiece:
Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
100% = $305. [NIB]
_98% = $270.
_95% = $225.
_90% = $200.
_80% = $180.

Colt Police Positive Special [First Issue 1907 - 1927]:
Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
100% = $495. [NIB]
_98% = $450.
_95% = $395.
_90% = $325.
_80% = $300.
I was wondering if this later model 18 is not as good as the earlier K frame .22s.
The earlier guns had a slightly better fit and finish, and their lockwork was all hand tuned....! !

I believe my S&W .22 has a frame mounted firing pin; the .357 Mag [N Frame] has the hammer mounted firing pin.

See if you can work a better deal, like the M18 AND $100. for your Colt PPS.....! ! :eek:

Good Luck....! ! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Model 18-4 ".22 Combat Masterpiece" revolver, made in ~ 1981; it is a 3 screw with a 4" barrel and I love it.
It goes to the range weekly and never fails to outshine the GSG 1911 I have for accuracy. Maintenance/upkeep is easy and I plan to hang onto that guy for a long time.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have a Model 18 (and a couple of model 17's). The model 18, in my hands, is more accurate than the 17's I have. I foolishly sold a model 18 a few years ago, missed it and so bought another one to replace it. I have to put target grips on my K frames to fit my hands.

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Knowing values

Go to GunBroker.com, go to advanced search, go to completed items and search. Be sure the results you look at are sales actually made as opposed to an item at reserve that did not sell etc. That is probably the best way to determine values today.

I like the older S&W .22 revolvers and have an 18 and a 17 that went back to S&W to have the shorter barrel and have a factory letter with it. Both are equally good mechanically. Only real difference is the partridge front sight and the target front sight.

·
Registered
956 Posts
today

My 18-2 has had the rubber Hogues on it to match the same on my 629-4 Mountain Gun. Sold the MG last year due to painful hands so just got these Altamonts in off the bay today. Super nice looking upgrade. I bought this one where someone had turned it into a round butt with a very nice job including factory looking grooves down the backstrap. Too much glare on the bluing that is not there!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Some fine lookin' pistola pics here today. I'd say the Smith M 18 is my favorite .22 handgun: here's the stable at present: Smith M18, Colt Diamondback 4", Ruger Single Six Convertible 4-5/8", Ruger Standard 4-5/8" , Colt Woodsman 4", Smith M41 w/5" & 5-1/2" bbls. , Smith M63 (3" bbl.) Sig M226 with .22 Xchange Unit and three 1911 barrel and slide assemblies: Ciener, Marvel and Colt sliding chamber Ace. I do like my .22's!!!

But for carrying here on the farm, the M18 Smith is just right. Plenty of inter-sight distance to give head-shot accuracy out to 30-40 yds on rabbits. Good weight, both for ease of all day carry as well as steadiness in offhand shooting. Grips that fit my hand (target model types), and sights that are click adj. to match the ammunition supply. And by the way...it's elegant!! It's a great under study for M66/M19 magnums and not so bad even for M27, M57, or M29 practice.

So weight's a big factor for my like/dislike for any handgun...hell that's true, even for a range gun. Somewhere around 36 oz., empty, is just about right, for my use. That's one of the reasons I really like the M69, 5-shot .44 Magnum that Smith introduced some time ago.

Here are some add'l M18 attributes: ease of carry...steady on the target line...and with good sights that don't hang up in a leather holster....read, a Baughman ramped front. The M18 lacks the full lugged bbl. that initially was added to help with magnum level recoil. It appeals to some for use on a range firing line, but for daily carrying (pleasure or defense), they're just too heavy.

Best Regards, Rod Here's a Pic of my M18 and Colt Diamondback.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.