Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking very hard about a Cooper Jackson Varmint in 22 Hornet.

Anybody out there have experience with a Cooper in 22 Hornet?

Any bullet preference?

Any powder preference or load advice?

Chad

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I shoot a lot of 22 Hornet in the "other" preminum sporter rifle, the Kimber of Oregon. :D I think my experiences would apply to a Cooper as well.

The most popular powders seem to be IMR 4227 and Hogdon Lil' Gun (LG), with the latter having the bragging rights for making max velocities without creating pressure problems. Load weights for LG usually range from 11 gr. to 12.5 gr, depending on your gun and target demands. A "reduced" load I prefer is 8 gr. of IMR SR 4759 with a 40 gr. bullet.

Bullets: Most makers have a "hornet" style bullet, a semi-point soft nose. I guess this is the style that helps accommodate most magazines. Personally, I prefer a spire point and I feed my KoO as a single shot.

Primers: There are two schools of thought on primers. Some of us prefer the "small rifle" primers; others prefer the "small pistol" version.

If you're looking for fun, the Hornet is a good place to find it. The Cooper will help. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 2 friends with Hornets, one is a Cooper the other is a M77. Both are FUN to shoot prairie dogs with! They really hit hard out to 100-150 yards. Both friends load 35gr V-max and I'm not sure about powder.

·
Premium Member
37,572 Posts
I've got a new one but all I can tell you is a slug come out the barrel.:eek: I'm waiting for a custom Leupold to put some serious range time in. The consensus seems to be however that these prefer 12 grns or so of LilGun and 42-45 grn slugs for best accuracy. I tried some 32 grn and they were wandering a tad. I've a 100 rnds of Cooper ammo that I'm hoarding for the new scope and coyotes.:cool: Vincent has done a lot of Hornet loading btw.

·
Premium Member
58,699 Posts
Houston I can't think of a more fun caliber than the Hornet no matter whose rifle its in, my 527 loves the Blackhills 35 gr vmax reman. load putting 5 in 1/2 inch at 100 more often than not, its rated at 3000 fps so it should hit pretty hard too. I think you have a great idea.

Gerald

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am thinking very hard about a Cooper Jackson Varmint in 22 Hornet.

Anybody out there have experience with a Cooper in 22 Hornet?

Chad
The best groups I've seen for Hornet ammo have been shot from a Cooper, and they do especially well when chambered for the K-Hornet configuration. I'm told the K-Hornet will give you longer case life also.
Good luck:bthumb:

Dumac

·
Premium Member
37,572 Posts
I take my hornet custom classic out once in a while,fondle it....but we haven't gone all the way yet...it is still a virgin.That's my experience with it so far.
Heh heh. I'm getting older fast and couldn't stand it so we had a quickie. She's locked back up now until she gets her glasses, and then I'll let her all out with her favorite stuff.:p

She needs another back rub now.;)

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Camster, dont you have a 22 hornet you were trying to sell??
Great round. I have a annie 1730. Easy to reload and fairly cheep. Lilgun and a 40gr blitzking and your good to go. I can see a cooper 22 hornet in my future or may a 17 ackley hornet.

·
Registered
15,166 Posts
Yes,Dave
I have a Cooper CC Hornet..gonna keep it for now as it is so much nicer than other Coopers(and selling guns can be a pia-had a fellow that wanted it so bad a while back,but the check never came-I don't allow bs to contaminate my hobby and I'm not pressed for the bucks) that I have seen lately(excepting a few beauties such as Als')-also figured out that a straight power scope fits the little receiver better than a variable(a straight doesn't extend back as far over the stock)-previously I had a 2.5-8 with Leupold mounts-it now has a Leupold 12x in S&K.That was an issue for me-I like guns to look right scoped,and short actions can be tough that way.
I have a 1730 as well-gotta shoot that one again too-haven't had it out since LeRoy restocked it for me.....Maybe next week.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yes,Dave
I have a Cooper CC Hornet..gonna keep it for now as it is so much nicer than other Coopers(and selling guns can be a pia-had a fellow that wanted it so bad a while back,but the check never came-I don't allow bs to contaminate my hobby and I'm not pressed for the bucks) that I have seen lately(excepting a few beauties such as Als')-also figured out that a straight power scope fits the little receiver better than a variable(a straight doesn't extend back as far over the stock)-previously I had a 2.5-8 with Leupold mounts-it now has a Leupold 12x in S&K.That was an issue for me-I like guns to look right scoped,and short actions can be tough that way.
I have a 1730 as well-gotta shoot that one again too-haven't had it out since LeRoy restocked it for me.....Maybe next week.
I like that 1730 you have even better than a Cooper. Has the Cooper-like wood and its a repeater with a magazine. I'd own more Coopers if they made all the centerfires in repeaters.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.