Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Ostensibly they're the same but they don't shoot the same in any of my 17HM2 rifles. May be only a difference of lot #'s but the Remington is less consistent in mine??

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
they are the same, in that they are both 100 percent made by eley, and then they put a remmy label on theirs. However, I doubt that Eley would ever share their eley priming powder, or priming technology with remmy, so they proly go with something more standard in the remmy ammo, for the primer action.

Both eley and remmy are both hot loaded compared to other rounds though, about 200 fps faster; marlin will even void your warranty with a 717, if you are found out using eley or remmy ammo in it.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
remmy and Eley

They DO use the same priming compound. I too have always given the slight edge in consistency to Eley over Remington, and also as above, nothing runs faster than those two by a fairly large margin. Still, the Richardson Ground Squirrels cannot tell the difference unless you miss, but that would be something you did, not the ammo. Just remember when you are trying to compare HM2 ammo and quantify it's capacity that you are dealing with a production hunting round, not a high quality target round. If you do ALL of the sorting dance then it is truly amazing no matter the brand, but until then it's a rather finiky little devil that demads absolute perfection from the shooter. I think about 85% of poor grouping in HM2 is the shooter, and perhaps 15% is the state of the ammo out of an unsorted box. Even "expert" 22lr shooters usually suck big time when they first try HM2, and they like to blame it on the ammo when really it isn't. The people with well developed skills seem to take to it quite well and wonder where all of the poor results that others describe are coming from. For me, the journey from 1" groups at 65 yards to under a 1/4" at 50 yards has been a real eye opener. The HM2 has really helped to force me to do things right.:bthumb:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I find that with the mach 2, I must do a few double takes with the scope, to get as near the same site pic as before, not necessarily trying to get the best pic on the target. Also on follow through, I keep a tighter, longer hold into the shoulder, if you change this from one group, to the next, you can really see a diff in the size of the groups you are shooting, it is not just imaginary.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had a thread in here about the smell of remintons,and that is when I found out that they were one in the same.unfortunately I have not shot the Eley,nobody around here sells it!however I found that out of my marlin
917m2s the remy's will shoot one hole groups at fifty yards.this is much better than I have ever shot with any other cal. I do normally shoot between 1/2" and 3/4" out of my .22lr cz and I know it is probably my fault that its not tighter,point being that the .17 mach 2 in my opinion is extremely accurate,I really enjoy shooting next to someone at the range and having them asking what I am shooting those groups with.:D Neil

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
check out ammunitiontogo.com. sells it for 40 bucks a brick. mention that you are a RFC member, and he may cut you some slack, he did once before, when we were doing a large lot buy, but I can't promise you anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.