Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for real world velocity figures with a 4" barreled revolver? I'm picking up a nice S&W .22 Kit Gun Model 63 on Mon, & just wonder how much velocity it'll lose compared to my 6 1/2" bbl Single Six(probably not very much), and my 6 7/8" Mk II(substantially more, I'd guess!). Yes, I realize the statistical problems involved, just looking for ball-park real world figures with commonly used .22 LR ammo. All help appreciated.

Hmm...just what does a Chrony go for these days? The only way to really know for sure- on that day, with that ammo, in that gun. Then allow for the phase of the moon, the coriolis effect, the Garfarkle phenomenon... :D

· Registered
550 Posts
Here ya go unclestu

The guns
Model 17 & 18 are S&Ws from the 50's & 60's; the K22 is a K22 Outdoorsman circa 1932. The .22/45 is a Colt conversion unit and the Woodsman is from the early 50's.
Midway was offering some basic chronographs for around $70 a week or two ago.
Rob

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From one geezer(age 52) to another, Thanks!
Yeah, I was looking at Cronys on the internet last night. For a bit over $100, you can get one that stores up to 6 strings of 10 shots each, plus it figures mean, SD, high & low for each string. What a great toy! But it's gonna have to wait a while, all my disposable ca$h is going for the Kit Gun. :D

· Registered
550 Posts
Chronographs are interesting tools, especially if you're a handloader. The one used in my data (above) is an old (1982ish) Oehler 33 with updated Skyscreens. If I ever replace it, I'm gonna find something that will download directly to this laptop; data entry is a pita with much room for error and typos.
Enjoy you new Model 63; S&W rules!
Rob

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a link to some chronograph figures from a S&W model 317 kit gun, should be in the same ball park. Just two things really interested me; scroll down & look at the difference between Remington Golden HP's and Remington Cyclone unplated HP's. The other was the velocity of the Remington Yellowjacket; I seem to remember seeing something similar years ago. If accuracy is good, the Yellowjacket may well be the "sleeper" load for mid-length revolver barrels.
Link: http://www.gunblast.com/SW_317.htm

· Registered
550 Posts
Hey unclestu,
How's it going?
That 317 article is interesting, and I think the results of his shooting are probably normal.
I noticed when I posted my chart that I'd never chrono'd the Dynapoints in any of my pistols, and that's my usual ammo these days. I've only fired a box or two of the Yellow Jackets in all the years of my shooting, and I have only half an old box sitting around; it must be 20 years old at the least. Maybe I'll shoot it up over the chrono.
(I have a guest up here at the moment, so it may be a couple weeks, but I'll post it here when I do it.)
I've had reliability problems with the Golden Bullets from Remington in rifles, so I tend to reach for ammo other than that when I shoot.
The three S&Ws all preferred different ammo when I targeted them, but it's been so long that I can't remember which liked what, and I've picked up a couple more K's since then, so I usually just use Dynapoints in all of them, which work "good enough" on my 25 yard gongs and vastly simplifies the ammo logistics.
The Woodsman is going on the table at the next gun show, as I've decided I dislike loading those long stick-type magazines; kinda tough on my arthritic thumb. If/when it sells, there'll be another K22 in my future.
Rob

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
20 yr old Yellowjackets? I have some pretty old .22 ammo sitting around myself. If you get around to doing some chronograph work, I think it would be Very interesting to see figures on the old Yellowjackets, vs figures from a brand new box of Yellowjackets. :D

My main use for the "hot-rod" .22 loads was always for varmint-busting, mainly 'possums & armadillos that would get under my mother's pier & beam house w/brick facing, & tear things up(such as tear the insulation off the ductwork :Blasting_ ). Because of the brick facing & the uneven ground, it's a real ***** to crawl through the hatch & get underneath that house for anything. So, when I shoot one of the offending critters, I do *NOT* want them to make it back under the house! :1t I found Stingers, Yellowjackets, or Spitfires fired from my beloved old Browning .22 Take-down all worked very well for this.

Sell your Woodsman? Well, OK, but you may regret it someday! I always wanted one, but I'm very particular about it: it's gotta have 6" bbl, adjustable sights, & the push-button magazine release. Gonna have to wait a while, though- they really sell for lotsa $$$! :(

· Registered
550 Posts
unclestu,
My Woodsman is the right age, but the wrong barrel length. Just an old 4.5" Sport model, seen here in a group pic with some other .22's.

I'd "always wanted one" too, but it's failed to endear itself to me, and I just picked up another K22 (1956 4 screw version), and I gotta clear out some of the deadwood.
HankEllis,
Post yer stuff; I'd like to see it.
Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.